Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #11 
TySAAAN

Thanks you guys very much!

I agree with you in that kits are a ripoff. The kit I got came with conditioner for the water and food and I thought that was great, however the pellets were too big for my betta to eat and the conditioner was a cheap quality kind.

Callistra, do you think you can give me the link for the Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank? I googled it and found the kit only.

For the heater, I'm going to get the one I saw at Petsmart. It looks almost identical to the one you showed me.

Thanks again!
TySAAAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #12 
MSG

Try to go for a glass tank.

10G glass tank will run you about $30 @ walmart or maybe $10-$30 used depending on the equipment it comes with.

Since you don't live in the tropics, you will need a HEATER, so those typically run at least $10 alone.

Get a KIT or a tank that includes......
  • Heater (adjustable)
  • Filter
  • Hood (Fluorescent or Bulb)

BTW, those same heaters cal listed @ petsmart will cost you about $26.
Non adjustable preset ones 25W & above start I think @ $18.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #13 
callistra

TySAAAN, it looks like this: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...-aquariums.htm They don't sell them online because they're glass but you can get them in the store.

You can get a 10g aquarium without equipment for $12.. at least you can at petco here. Maybe $25-$30 in kit form.

What kit do you know of that comes with a good heater? I don't know of any
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #14 
MSG

I guess the cheap walmart 10G kit doesn't include one.

The more expensive 10G kits will include a heater.
  • Marineland Bio-Wheel LED 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit but it's $80
  • Tetra 15G Success Kit was $36 & it included all 3.

I was tempted to buy it because I've NEVER seen a 15G tank & now they're NO longer produced because 10G are cheaper to manufacture.

For people who are new to the fish hobby, go used but buy at least a 5-10G glass tank.

Anything smaller is like a shoe box. All those dinky plastic tanks that are scratched up I keep my fish nets & other misc fish related accessories in there.

You're going to be killing a lot of fish anyway while you LEARN through your own experience, what WORKS & what doesn't.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #15 
TySAAAN

MSG, I rather not get a kit because I don't want a filter anyways, and I can make my own hood for cheap. For the heater, I'm just going to get one separately. Thanks though (:

Oh okay thank you Callistra! On Christmas Day I'm going to go to Petsmart and Petco and check out the tanks.
TySAAAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Disclaimer: I've only had bettas for a few months now. That said, here's another potential option:

I have 3 gallon acrylic critter keepers for each of my three fish. They cost $13-16 at Petsmart, Petco or Amazon. (There is also an extra large, which holds about 5 gallons and costs a few dollars more.)

Pluses: I do frequent water changes, and these are easy for me to lift. I can easily dump the water, wash the tank and refill it. (A similar sized glass tank is heavier.) I also like that there's a lot of horizontal swim space for my guys.

Negatives: They scratch easily. (And I've heard they can break, but I haven't had that happen.)

I have heaters in each, and the water temp is maintained at 79F.

I don't have filters, but I do one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

Also, there's no light, which might be an issue if you want to have live plants. (During the warmer weather, I had a Pothos growing out of the lid. So the amount of light would also depend on the plant.)

If you check these out at Petco, they're ususally in the fish aisle. If you go to Petsmart, they're usually in the reptile aisle.

Here's a link to the Petsmart one, so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752730
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #17 
callistra

They said they were going to look for the $10 glass Aqueon one and make their own hood. If they don't want to worry about cyling and filtering they probably don't want to have to maintain live plants either.

Aren't those things like 1/4 and 1/2 and 1 gallons? Do they actually make them bigger? ETA: I guess the medium is about 3 gallons, but I wonder if they're including the lid in the volume which you wouldn't fill..

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #18 
SQUIRT1216

I was at petsmart today, the 10 gallons + heater +filter + light + hood + net + thermometer was only $29. But i seem like it end today though. Took all my will power not to buy it bc i already have 6 10 gallons tank in my room :O
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #19 
callistra

Seriously? I am seriously going after Christmas to see the sales.. I try to only buy from my LFS, but with sales like that it's hard to pass up..
Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #20 
hannah16

I'd like to suggest the 5g starter kit at Walmart. It's $28 plus tax, has the tank, hood, light and a filter.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote