Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 
Nicci Lu

Need Heater Recommendations

I currently have a Top Fin 50w heater for my 10 gal tank. I've had it for about a week, and it keeps the temp a fairly stable 80-81 throughout the day. However, last morning I woke up to find that my tank temp was 76. This morning I woke up to find that my poor little guy's tank was at 72! Time for a new heater.

I was hoping to get some recommendations from y'all. I don't really care if the heater needs a lot of messing with to get it to the right temp, I just want something that will reliably keep the temp stable once I get it there. I'm pretty limited as far as selection goes. I can't spend a lot of money, and I can only get it from PetSmart, Petco (in store) or through my Amazon Prime account.

So, out of these, which is the most reliable?
Eheim Jager TruTemp (this is really my first choice, but if I go with it, I can only get a 75w- 50w isn't available as fast as I need it. Can a 75w safely be put in a 10 gal tank? Anyone know if it will fit?)
Hydor Theo
Fluval M
Aqueon

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with a faulty heater until I can get the new one? I was thinking about turning up the temp when I go to bed at night, but knowing my luck, the darned heater will actually do what it's supposed to and end up cooking my little betta guy.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

75 watts should be just fine :). I would just take the faulty heater out for the time being...It is unpredictable and like you said, may cook your fish. If your house isn't an icebox, I think he will be fine without a heater for a couple days until the new one gets there...

Edit: Oh and I haven't heard one bad thing about Jager, so I would go with that...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well I have 3 out of 4 of those brands, I don't have a Hydor, I also have Top Fin heaters for 2 10g & a 5.5g tank. So far I've had no problems with any of them. My Aqueon & Eheim are 150W & both are in my 46g tank. Oh, I also have a Petco brand heater in my 2.5g BUT the decal on the tube of the heater is flaking off which is very irritating, the heater so far works great. All of my heaters, except the Eheim were purchased at Petsmart & Petco.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Well I have 3 out of 4 of those brands, I don't have a Hydor, I also have Top Fin heaters for 2 10g & a 5.5g tank. So far I've had no problems with any of them. My Aqueon & Eheim are 150W & both are in my 46g tank. Oh, I also have a Petco brand heater in my 2.5g BUT the decal on the tube of the heater is flaking off which is very irritating, the heater so far works great. All of my heaters, except the Eheim were purchased at Petsmart & Petco.
Is the Petco brand one a 25watt?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Is the Petco brand one a 25watt?
Umm, off the top of my head I'm not sure, looking at the website the smallest they have is a 50W. I'm at work so I can't check.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

If its adjustable a 75watt will work just fine. Jäger is highly recommended here... I have 4 Hydor Theos and am happy with them all so far.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #7 
Nicci Lu

From reading reviews on heaters, it seems that they are all hit-or-miss. I know some have good luck with the Top Fin, but I just can't bring myself to get the same brand again after my bad luck with this one. The Jagers do seem to have the best reviews, and from my experience (or, rather my husband's) with Klein electrician tools, German products are often top notch. I was worried, however, about the 75 watts being too much, but it sounds like it would be fine.

The temp in my house isn't too bad, I set the thermostat at 72 during the day, but at night it's at 66. I could raise the thermostat at night for a couple nights, I suppose. The Top Fin I have seems to do fine during the day, it's just at night that it can't keep the tank temp up. shellieca, do you have to adjust your Top Fin's temp at night, or is it just mine?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #8 
Nicci Lu

AyalaCookiejar: It looks like the Hydors are extremely easy to set the temperature on. Have you found this to be true?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
From reading reviews on heaters, it seems that they are all hit-or-miss. I know some have good luck with the Top Fin, but I just can't bring myself to get the same brand again after my bad luck with this one. The Jagers do seem to have the best reviews, and from my experience (or, rather my husband's) with Klein electrician tools, German products are often top notch. I was worried, however, about the 75 watts being too much, but it sounds like it would be fine.

The temp in my house isn't too bad, I set the thermostat at 72 during the day, but at night it's at 66. I could raise the thermostat at night for a couple nights, I suppose. The Top Fin I have seems to do fine during the day, it's just at night that it can't keep the tank temp up. shellieca, do you have to adjust your Top Fin's temp at night, or is it just mine?
I do the same with my house temp; 72 during the day, 66 at night. 2 of my 10g tanks will drop to 75-76 at night & are about 78 during the day with the tank light on. One tank has the Top Fin & the other a Fluval. The room they are in is cooler than the rest of the house. I don't adjust them daily, I check the temp to see what its averaging then adjust the heater if need be, I think I did that once maybe twice since the colder weather has hit. BUT I've had the same problem with my 46g tank & have had to add a 2nd heater (Eheim Jager) to help out, the one Aqueon 150W wasn't cutting it.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
AyalaCookiejar: It looks like the Hydors are extremely easy to set the temperature on. Have you found this to be true?
They are pretty easy to set but you have to test them just because, like all heaters, they can be a degree or so off. Since I have mine horizontally in the bottom of the tanks, I have to stick my whole arm in there to adjust the temp, of course, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote