Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 
omyard

Old tank, new betta

So a couple of months ago my betta died. I've decided to reuse the tank and decorations for a new betta. I've soaked the tank and decorations in a bleach water mix for 24 hours, rinsed them and let them air dry.

I've read on here that the rocks can be cooked in the oven at 450 for 1 hour so I plan on doing that tonight.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants? I rinsed them and put them in a bowl of water that was different from their tank water for the last week. Are they safe to use in the new tank?
omyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Are they live plants? If so, I think they would be safe to use. If they aren't real, you could spray them with a vinegar/water solution, and then they should be fine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #3 
whatsupyall

I assume the plants are non-living? If so, you can bleach them too. Be sure to rinse well and let it soak in water for a day or so just to be safe. Alternatively, you can use white vinegar for cleaning. That's what I use for cleaning tank, gravel, and decor. As for my live plants, I just rinse with water. If I suspect it is carrying parasites or whatnot, definitely diluted bleach. Youtube has a few videos showing how that is done. Hope this helped.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
omyard

They're live plants. I'll spray them with vinegar and water and hope that helps. I don't think they're carrying any parasites on them.
omyard is offline   Reply With Quote