Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

EE Breeding

There is no information (that I can find) on the Elephant Ear genetic trait. Colors and finnage, yes; but nothing on the Elephant Ear specifically. I have a spectaculary colored EE plakat. I have a young CT female that exhibits similar coloring- close to purple and white on both fish(she hasn't reached her full color; looks Cambodian but a black spot is appearing on her white body; she also has black eyes). I'd love to see what these 2 would produce, but how many plain plakats would I get? What does an EE female look like?
Moreover, how was the EE achieved; a mutation, or was a breeder after a that particular trait? (it would help to know the genetic history of the EE; what was the original fish?).
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #2 
Fabian

You should not breed a EE plakat to a ct female.
They will mostly produce a long finned betta with messy rays.(i've done it before)
A female EE looks almost the same as males,just shorter fins.
The dumbo was created to enlarge the pectorals.The original betta that created the dumbo is an ordinary betta with large pectorals,the kept breeding it to the siblings for generations and a dumbo was created.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As far as I know EE is recessive. Thus EE x regular would = mostly non EE, and EE cariers/geno. But in reality you should produce some fairly big pectorals (not as big as the actual EE).

I agree with Fabian; mixing fin types will create odd fins in F1. You will have to selectively inbreed them to eventually get what you want. So, what's your goal and how do you Plan to achieve it? I'm not against it as long as you know what you're getting yourself into.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

I have absolutely no clue as to what I would be getting myself into and what I would be doing. I am new to bettas, and plan on just setting up a sorority tank b/c I just love the girls (I have 2 and am going to buy at least 3 more for a 29-gal tank).
If I continue, I may try my hand at breeding someday. In the mean time, I'm just gathering information as I go. When I see a glaring question, like Dumbos not being referred to in breeding info., I ask b/c I want to educate myself as I go.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

If you wanted to try breeding EE, you would have a higher chance to breed him to another EE. However, you could also go with a halfmoon female (or whichever tail type he is). I am planning on breeding my HMPK dumbo to a halfmoon female.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 
Myates

lol Sena, you are doing my plan :D My HM Dumbo (not pk though) is still growing a bit, but he is planned to go with one of my HM girls lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

pk=plakat? My male is an EE plakat. I have a sorority to which I'd add an ee female, but I have never seen a female ee for sale!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
MoonShadow

I think it will be difficult to find an EE female in a store at this point, your best bet is to buy one online, but that can get pricey. If you cross him with a regular HMPK female you won't get any true EEs in the first generation but they will possess the EE geno and the EE phenotype should appear in the 2nd generation if you either breed 2 of the offspring together or cross one of the daughters back to the father
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

+1 on that :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote