Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #1 
jessp118

Looking for a larger, nicer tank.

My Betta is currently in i think a 3 gallon pet keeper. I would put him in the 10 gallon I have but it has been made a home for my leopard gecko. I would not be getting it until after the holidays. I have a price limit of 50$. I want at least a lid with lights. I have a filter currently rated for up to 3 gallons and an adjustable heater.

I'm currently looking at these two tanks:
http://www.petco.com/product/118221/...arium-Kit.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/12788/M...arium-Kit.aspx

What I'm looking for it opinions and suggestions on these tanks or other tanks.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
aemaki09

I like the second one better just because the first one doesnt leave much if any surface room if you want to fill it up to the rim and betta's need air. But you can get 10 gallon kits at petsmart for like $35 so I'd suggest one of those and just get another filter
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #3 
callistra

You can get a standard rectangular 5 gallon glass aquarium with hood and adjustable 50w heater for about that. The tank will be about $10. Hoods with lights will probably run you about $20-$30 but you can get a glass top for $12 and if you're not keeping live plants the light is completely unnecessary. A good adjustable 50w heater will run you between $20 and $30. Good ones are Aqueon Pro, Jager and Marineland visitherm.

You might be able to find good kids at your local petsmart or walmart. If you use one of those filters though please add a prefilter to your intake tube as bettas can get sucked into them.

You want wider as opposed to taller. The hexagon would not be the best choice. I like this one myself: http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1 prefilter it or replace the filter.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You can get a standard rectangular 5 gallon glass aquarium with hood and adjustable 50w heater for about that. The tank will be about $10. Hoods with lights will probably run you about $20-$30 but you can get a glass top for $12 and if you're not keeping live plants the light is completely unnecessary. A good adjustable 50w heater will run you between $20 and $30. Good ones are Aqueon Pro, Jager and Marineland visitherm.

You might be able to find good kids at your local petsmart or walmart. If you use one of those filters though please add a prefilter to your intake tube as bettas can get sucked into them.

You want wider as opposed to taller. The hexagon would not be the best choice. I like this one myself: http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1 prefilter it or replace the filter.
I was looking for something kinda tall since I have limited space. Both adjustable heaters will work for 10 gallons.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 
callistra

Bettas need wider shallower spaces. Tall deep tanks are not ideal. 5 gallon common rectangular tank is not very big and it's not too wide. It's a good size for bettas. He's need a lot of floating plants up towards the surface for him to lie on if you want something deep.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #6 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Bettas need wider shallower spaces. Tall deep tanks are not ideal. 5 gallon common rectangular tank is not very big and it's not too wide. It's a good size for bettas. He's need a lot of floating plants up towards the surface for him to lie on if you want something deep.
I just measured the space that the tank would go. it is 29 X 21. the bookshelf would work.