Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Question One fish not eating and the other has a light colored head...

Okay so my VT had internal parasites that he is finally recovering from internal parasites after a week and I put him back into his five gallon today from his one gallon hospital tank. He was floating uncontrollably and slightly bloated and was in Epsom Salt for a week. I finally figure out it was internal parasites, treated him for a few days with Parasite Clear and he pooped out a few long worms! Now he is swimming normally so I put him back in his 5 gallon. During his time in the hospital tank I noticed his gills getting lighter spots on them but it looked like a light blue. He is blue so I figured the coloring may be normal, but now after a few hours back in his five gallon his whole head seems a bit lighter! I can't tell if its fungus or something... He zooms around his tank a lot. It doesn't look really raised or fuzzy to me... But I could be wrong. I've never dealt with fungus before. Also, his new tank decorations were developing that white cottony like coating that I've been scrubbing off if it makes a difference...

My CT last week started taking a while to eat his food. He would only eat it if it was right in front of his mouth. Now he's not touching it at all. I've tried feeding him Aqueon pellets, Omega One pellets and now NLS pellets as well as freeze dried blood worms and he won't touch any of them! He was eating the Aqueon pellets and omega one pellets fine at first so I know they aren't too big, and the NLS one are even smaller. He also is kind of lethargic at times, sort of resting his tail on the substrate and not swimming around quickly like my VT. I don't see any other physical symptoms.

Both are in a 5 gallon filtered tank at 78 degrees.
Both have had a 50% water change today and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are at 0. Neither tank is cycled yet.
Both get the NLS pellets now.
Both have Prime conditioner in their water as well as stress coat as of today for my CT and for a week for my VT since he started his ES treatments.

I am trying to get a good picture of the VT and will take a video of both tanks at the same time to compare their activity levels...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
callistra

I would not have stopped treatment so early. Treatment should continue for a minimum of 2 full weeks and at least one full week past when he looks completely recovered - no bloat, pooping regularly etc. Otherwise the chance of reoccurring is high and the second time you treat they may be resistant to the meds. I would put him back on the epsoms and continue treatment two full weeks. A lot of people will treat 3-4 just to be safe but the two is very minimum. Also it gives any parasites left in his main tank a chance to die off without a host.

I don't know about fuzzy stuff on ornaments.. sorry.

What's the second guy's poop look like?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

His poo was ballish and kind of looked like little brown snails. Of course he's not pooping now because he hasn't been eating :(

Sakura suggested retreating him in three weeks... I wasn't sure how long I could safely treat him with Parasite Clear.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
callistra

Well that one is particularly strong, but two weeks should be okay. I wouldn't treat past two weeks, and I would run carbon in between rounds/weeks. There are other meds with just two of the several ingredients and those are safe for 3-4. You can also break the bath and just feed metro soak pellets up to a month. If you do a week on, wait, try again, wait, and you don't finish it in between you will breed a resistant strain... trust me, done that and lost the fish.. treatment stopped working and he went downhill. Then I researched it and talked to a bunch of people and figured out why.

I might cup your CT in 100% new conditioned and heated water and see if he perks up. His poo sounds normal.

ETA: What do the instructions on your box say? This is what I found
Quote:
Details: Wait 48 hours between treatments. Remove activated carbon. Change 25% of the water before each new treatment. For anchor worms, repeat treatment up to three times, once a week, for three weeks. For fish lice, treat once a week for three to five weeks. DO NOT OVERDOSE. Active ingredients: praziquantel; N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon 1]-2,6-difluorobenzamide; metronidazole; acriflavine.
It even says 3 week treatment.. What does your box say?

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't have it with me but the instructions were vague. It said treat for three days and change 25% before adding a second dose if necessary.