Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
twolovers101

Cloudy Eye Issue

So Shosta has been having a bit of an issue with his left eye... It gets kind of foggy and cloudy on the surface of his eye.

Housing

What size is your tank? 2.5 gal now (temp tank, normal tank is 5.5 NPT)
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one betta buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 50 and 1 100% per week on the 2.5, 1 50% per week on the 5.5
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, some stress coat every now and then

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Unknown, I should be getting a kit for Christmas... :/

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Left eye is cloudy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasn't he's just as active and happy and hungry as usual Note: He has NOT clamped this time and it's just the one eye, the clouding is mostly over his pupil and is on the surface of his eye.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I thought I saw it clouding 2 days ago, but couldn't get a good look at it, definitely clouding now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet this go around
Does your fish have any history of being ill?

When I first got him, he was fine for a week, then I moved back to school (got him during Thanksgiving break) and 3 days after the move he suddenly clamped up and both eyes were REALLY cloudy, like almost a milky white. So I used Quick Cure and it went away in about 5 days about 3 days later he started to clamp up again and his eyes were slightly cloudy. So I did 5 days of AQ salt on him and it worked just fine... since then it's been about a week and a half and his left eye is clouding up again... is it okay to do another few days of AQ salt? What could be wrong with him? Poor dude.... he hates quarantine...

How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown, petstore fish... he's fairly young... maybe 6 months?
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 
callistra

It sounds like you're doing a good job with him :)

Since this keeps coming back I'd use a little different treatment this time. I'd use epsom salts at 1/4 to 1 tsp per gallon (different people will tell you different things.. I've only needed/used up to 1/2 tsp. Predissolve it before adding. You'll also want to make sure it's pure magnesium sulfate with no additives (check the ingredients list). Along with the epsoms I'd use Kanaplex by Seachem or if you can't get that you can try Maracyn Plus or Furan 2 (in that order).

Is he pooping daily? What does it look like? Are you saying you're feeding 2-4 total pellets or 4-6 total? 4-6 is a lot. I'd watch to make sure he's not getting constipated.

Maybe there is a water quality issue with the 5 gallon if it keeps coming back. It's also possible you didn't treat for long enough so it came back once you stopped treatment. I'd go ahead and treat a week past when it appears to be good and cleared to prevent this from happening again.. so basically assume this will be a 2-2.5 week treatment.

It's good you should get a test kit.. ask for a drops kit and not strips if you can. You'll need ammonia nitrite and nitrate if you're keeping a cycled tank and not doing 100% changes. In the meantime, your local fish store might test it for you. Just ask for actual numbers not "it's fine" answers.

Last edited by callistra; 12-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I'd use epsom salts at 1/4 to 1 tsp per gallon (different people will tell you different things.. I've only needed/used up to 1/2 tsp. Predissolve it before adding. You'll also want to make sure it's pure magnesium sulfate with no additives (check the ingredients list). Along with the epsoms I'd use Kanaplex by Seachem or if you can't get that you can try Maracyn Plus or Furan 2 (in that order).

Maybe there is a water quality issue with the 5 gallon if it keeps coming back. It's also possible you didn't treat for long enough so it came back once you stopped treatment. I'd go ahead and treat a week past when it appears to be good and cleared to prevent this from happening again.

It's good you should get a test kit.. ask for a drops kit and not strips if you can. You'll need ammonia nitrite and nitrate if you're keeping a cycled tank and not doing 100% changes. In the meantime, your local fish store might test it for you. Just ask for actual numbers not "it's fine" answers.
I used strips for a while with the 5 and they came back as perfect... I know strips aren't that accurate, but the 5 is an NPT and it's previous occupant (who passed due to jumping) lived in it with no problems and he was a very healthy fish. In any case, he's not in the 5 right now, and was free of this for a while in the 5 before I made the drive to my parents. (which is why he's in the 2.5)

I'm thinking it may be stress induced with the driving maybe... I'd rather not use meds if I can avoid it... I have maracyn I and II back where the 5 is (3 hours away from me) and all I have with me is AQ salt and the quick cure.

It's also not as bad this time around as it was in the past two times (been gradually getting less intense). I'm not opposed to treating him longer, but I'd like to stick with AQ salt or epsoms if possible...

Also, he poops just fine, nice healthy poops, the color of the pellets, and it's recommended that they be fed 2-3 twice a day. I watch for constipation and all that, but it hasn't been a problem for the 5 weeks or so that I've had him.

I should also mention that it's been about 3 days since we got to my parents house, so 3 days since the drive... like time number one, just not as intense a reaction.

Last edited by twolovers101; 12-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 
twolovers101

Well, after getting a closer look at him this evening, and with the aid of a flash light... there's nothing wrong with his eye at all, it's just a glare created by my overhead light lol, he's perfectly fine, I was just being a worry wort betta mom... though I will still keep a close eye on him lol