Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 
Artist with a betta

NEW TANK almost

After a night of kicking but at blackjack I won so many rounds against my dorm head he couldn't pay me back, so I bargained with him to let me get a ten gallon instead of paying me back. I'm about to go buy a Ten gallon one from Wallmart for ten dollars, and I know you're supposed to cycle the tank for about a week before putting your fish in. There's just one problem.... I have no idea how to cycle a tank. So if someone would tell me in a very easy to understand and detailed way (it's friday to many test my brain is fried) how to do it I would very very much aprisheate it.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

With a Filter and Live plants you can skip cycling. Wow Gambling for a new tank. How much Money? You can add Semi aquatics to a filter.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #3 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
After a night of kicking but at blackjack I won so many rounds against my dorm head he couldn't pay me back, so I bargained with him to let me get a ten gallon instead of paying me back. I'm about to go buy a Ten gallon one from Wallmart for ten dollars, and I know you're supposed to cycle the tank for about a week before putting your fish in. There's just one problem.... I have no idea how to cycle a tank. So if someone would tell me in a very easy to understand and detailed way (it's friday to many test my brain is fried) how to do it I would very very much aprisheate it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Here ya go! This should help.
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
With a Filter and Live plants you can skip cycling. Wow Gambling for a new tank. How much Money? You can add Semi aquatics to a filter.
I have a sponge filter right now will that do?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

It takes longer than a week to cycle, and you need a source of pure ammonia. I have set up both of my tanks and added my fish the same day and did a fish-in cycle, but the water either needs to be monitored/tested regularly or the water needs changed often within the first two months of having it if you have no test kit to see if it's fully cycled or not.
A sponge filter should be fine for a 10 gallon and live plants are not needed although they do help a lot with water quality.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

LOL!!! Gambling for a tank- I love it.
If you haven't seen it, see the movie "Benny and Joon", and older movie with Johnny Depp (when he was still Johnny Depp). The characters love poker but have no money, so they gamble for random household items... Joon winds up winning a snorkel and diving mask at one point...
Sorry I can't help about the new tank! What is the tank in your avatar?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #7 
Myates

You can do fish-in cycle with no problem - just set up the tank and place your fish in. You will have to make sure to do a bit extra water changes for the next 6-8 weeks, but otherwise it is fine to cycle the tank with the fish in it.

The sponge filter will be fine to use.. 3 of my 10gs have no filter (but lots of live plants) :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #8 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
LOL!!! Gambling for a tank- I love it.
If you haven't seen it, see the movie "Benny and Joon", and older movie with Johnny Depp (when he was still Johnny Depp). The characters love poker but have no money, so they gamble for random household items... Joon winds up winning a snorkel and diving mask at one point...
Sorry I can't help about the new tank! What is the tank in your avatar?
that's what we do here in hell aka boarding school. I won $60, a new quilt the right for a 10 gallon tank, a new set of lightly worn uniforms, and the new guy's care package from his mom.
The one I have of my avatar is the 3 gallon I have right now.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Wow, that three gallon is pretty tall. I have one of those squidward houses in one of my five gallons and the water doesn't go that far above the tiki house!
Are you getting rid of the three gallon and moving the fish to the ten or are you planning on getting another fish?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 
PandaBetta

This is a funny story hahaha :)
PandaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote