Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb Added neon tetras

i just bought 3 neon tetras to be friends with my male VT Zuko. i heard they can be great together. but i heard the tetras may nip and chase the betta. but in my case, it's the opposite! Zuko chases, flares, and nips at the poor innocent tetras and they just want to swim around in their school and mind their own business. i just bought them today, will they get used to each other and Zuko will stop? is it just because their new to each other?
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 
bettaluver14

also here's a pic of the trio
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Um you need more than three Neon Tetras at least 6 at most that way they can ban together and be schooling fish. Other than neat. Just add a few more buy them from the same place you got these ones from.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #4 
callistra

This poster also posted they are only in a 2.5g tank.. Please take them back or they won't live. In addition to being schooling fish, they need a fully cycled and established tank of at least 10 gallons.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #5 
pittipuppylove

From a few of your other threads, where you say that they're all in a 2.5 gallon tank together, I'm not too suprised that there're issues... My best guess is that the problems will not resolve until either the tank is upgraded or the neons are removed (which may very well include removal through death). Neon tetras need much more room than a 2.5 gallon, or even a 5 gallon, can handle - a 10 gallon is considered by most to be the bare minimum to house this species. They also need a school of atleast 5-6 for them to do well. I'd say that between the small living quarters, small school size, and the betta, the neons are too stressed to fight back - the two species just don't have enough room to get away from each other.

I'd strongly suggest that you return the neons until you can upgrade to a suitable tank. If you can't get at least a 10 gallon tank for whatever reason, as you mentioned in another thread, I would reccomend that you look for other possible tank mates for your betta.

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 12-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 
Goldie2nd

Um yeah I did not know you had such a small tank you need at least a 10g tank and um and then get more neon tetras or give them back.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #7 
bettaluver14

yeah just to let you all know i'm on a tight budget and am literally broke... i may get a 10gal from walmart but i'm not sure
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #8 
Goldie2nd

The walmart one are perfect I have one of those 10g ones they are great. I sdgers put the Neon Tetras in another cointainer then till you get the 10g tank.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 
bettaluver14

Angry

I am so MAD!!! I was 5mins close to getting that 10gal at Petco... On Christmas eve my family and I went out to dinner and after that we rushed to Petco because my dad called in and they said they have them in stock and they were closed!!! UGH... the fish actually seem happy and Zuko stopped nipping at them. They're still in the same tank and don't worry; i'm getting them that tank real soon we already have a 10gal aquarium stand. Let's hope Petco is open the next couple of days!!! I'm just glad they aren't dead
wish me luck!!! <3
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #10 
bettaluver14

Red face

And also, once i get the 10gal; I'm planning on getting 2 more tetras :)