Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 
Spiderling00

Work fish has Dropsy

My boyfriend called me monday night to come take care of the fish they have at his work. We've been taking care of this fish by cleaning out her tank since summer since his coworkers take terrible care of the fish. Now she has dropsy. She has already started to pinecone. I'm treating her with Maracyn and Maracyn II along with doing epsom salt baths as recommended in the disease sticky. she is also in a .75 gallon hospital kritter keeper with a heater.

I'm mostly here to know if anyone has successfully cured a fish with dropsy who has already started to pinecone. If she gets better I'll be keeping her, she won't go back to his work. He threw away the stupid half bubble hang on the wall tank they were keeping her in.
Spiderling00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 
MoonShadow

You are doing all of the right things for her! Unfortunately once a fish has started to pinecone it usually mean that they are going into organ failure.

Here are a few facts about organ failure from my website

"Dropsy isn’t a disease, but rather a symptom of other underlying problems, and there is no single underlying problem for every case. A fish with dropsy will be obviously round and swollen, particularly around the abdomen, the swelling causes the scales to stick out, and when viewed from the top the fish will resemble a pine cone. Fish suffering from dropsy are often lethargic, poorly colored, and uninterested in food.

The symptom that we call dropsy is essentially an accumulation of fluids within the body. As the body swells the scales are forced out, causing the pine cone appearance. The most common causes of dropsy are bacterial infections caused by poor water quality and maintenance, certain viral and protozoan infections, and organ failure.

Dropsy is extremely difficult to treat, by the time the fluid in the body has built up enough to cause the scales to pine cone, Severe internal damage has already occurred. By the time it gets to this point it’s usually best to euthanize the fish. You can try treating with Anti-biotics, epsom salt and increased water temperatures, but most of the time these treatments do not work, and you are just prolonging the suffering of the fish!"
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 
Spiderling00

I feel pretty terrible about her. My boyfriend and I debated a lot about whether or not we should just take the fish and say it died. Now I really wish we had. She is still swimming around. I'm wondering how many days I should give her for recovery before euthenizing if she doesn't pass on her own.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #4 
callistra

Yes, but only with Kanaplex + epsoms or Maracyn Plus + Epsoms. I've heard of Maracyn being able to treat (not Maracyn II) but not as likely. Epsoms between 1-3 tsp per gallon. Dropsy typically takes about 2 weeks for full recovery and I would continue treating a full week past when she seems okay to prevent a relapse.

She's only going to keep getting sick if she's kept in stuff that small.. good for you for taking care of her. I would let the coworkers know she is sick and possibly dying because of their mistreatment and make a point that if they don't care they should relinquish the fish to you.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 
Spiderling00

She died last night. I am very sad, I wish we had taken her away sooner.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 
aemaki09

I just had to put one of my favorites down from it. It's really sad. All you can do now is make sure they don't get another one
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #7 
callistra

I'm sorry :( I Think it's great you tried all you did. You can try to use it as an opportunity to educate the ignorant coworkers in honor of her life. Unfortunately, this happens far too often, but it's special that people like you step in.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 
Spiderling00

Thank you for your kind words friends. My boyfriend threw away her old tank and will be making sure they don't get another fish. The girl who originally bought the fish was adamant that the fish was fine and did not have dropsy despite the obvious pineconing.