Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
KirstenMarie

His bubble nest just isnt working out!

So about a week ago, I bought a dark-blue VT male and a Red VT female, Both about five months old. She is clearly ready to spawn, she has her stripes, egg-spot is showing (quite well), and she looks as if she is going to pop with all those eggs. He had started making his bubble nest, so I moved him into the breeding tank. (She is currently with him in a small vase). But when he started making his nest again... It didn't work out! The bubbles just keep popping as soon as they leave his mouth! I'm not quite sure what to do, as he is also getting anxious to spawn.

Help, anyone?
KirstenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you bred Bettas before? I'm not a breeder but I don't think a small vase is sufficient for breeding but I could be wrong.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 
KirstenMarie

Once, And everything went perfectly (for the most part). Although only about 20-30 fry survived and found new homes.

And they are in a tank, I just have her in the middle inside a vase so they wont fight or try to spawn before his nest is finished. (If it ever will!)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I think the poster means that the female is in a small vase in the spawning tank-being used as the divider until she is ready....Anyway....

To be sure, what spawning method are you using and/or how is the spawning tank setup...

Sometimes the reason that the nest pops...Is due to: water movement, too clean of water, too cool dry air over the water to name the most common causes...

Be sure the filter is off, add a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap-you want to see condensation on the walls. Also, limit opening the lid and or using too high watts.

Look forward to your spawning log-complete with pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

No I misunderstood the small vase part, sorry.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #6 
KirstenMarie

You pretty much just answered me, It was the cool air. I have the water heated. But my parents keep the house at 60 degrees year-round. So i will be sure to wrap it. Thanks!

And I am looking forward to it too. (If I can get a new camera in time!)
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Good deal....I keep my spawning tanks covered year around with plastic veggie wrap-Not just for the nest-but for the fry too. Too cool-dry air over the water when the fry start to develop their labyrinth organ at about 2-6 weeks of age can sometimes be the cause of a mass die-off..

I don't wait on a nest-since some male may not make one until they have eggs in their mouth...I go by the female behavior to tell me readiness.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #8 
Setsuna

Indian Almond Leave will solve your problem like magic
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9 
KirstenMarie

Oh my gosh, Thank you for that help! I wrapped the top of the tank and about two days later he started building his nest again! It is about a third of the way finished and looks halfway-decent.(For his first bubble nest) I'll keep you guys updated on it. :)

Oh and one concern in wrapping the tank.. Wouldn't this suffocate the fish? That was my number one worry and I got so paranoid that I would check every five minutes to make sure they hadn't died yet. O_O
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #10 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMarie View Post
Oh my gosh, Thank you for that help! I wrapped the top of the tank and about two days later he started building his nest again! It is about a third of the way finished and looks halfway-decent.(For his first bubble nest) I'll keep you guys updated on it. :)

Oh and one concern in wrapping the tank.. Wouldn't this suffocate the fish? That was my number one worry and I got so paranoid that I would check every five minutes to make sure they hadn't died yet. O_O
No, it wouldnt sufficate the fish wrapping with tank will create humidity that will help your betta alot plus frys
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote