Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #41 
Prettyprada

ok. he's in there... as active as ever. chasing water droplets down the side of his tank, zigzagging through his silk plants, swimming through his tunnel, struttin his stuff, etc. He's got a clean tank and new water. I added some easybalance in there since all I can get a hold of right now is RO water... along with the conditioner and Epsom salt.
He looks happy!

My main concern is the not eating... he'll follow my finger to where I feed him and jump on the pellets, but after a few "bites" he'll spit it all out. I've tried crushing them, soaking them, everything. Does the same thing with Freeze-dried bloodworms (in an attempt to spike his hunger).

Within the first few days that I got him he'd eat like a pig. Now he's being finicky about it.

Granted I haven't seen any poo... but if he hasn't eaten anything within the past week wouldn't he not have anything in his system??????
It alarms me how long he's gone without food! And it's all his choice!!!
Within the past week he's had maybe 2 pellets, no more than 3.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #42 
callistra

He may be more throwing them up than spitting it out.. That can happen with an internal infection which is why it's important to get a hold of one of those three antibiotics.. Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or if you can't find either furan 2 might have some small potential to work.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #43 
Prettyprada

Yes, we'll be going to the bigger petstore. They said they have Maracyn plus.
Before you mentioned Erythrymycin? I believe they have that as well. But I think that was one of the ones that wasn't as strong.

I'm not sure if the food is actually making it down to his stomach for him to be throwing it up, though. Is there a way to know?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #44 
callistra

Erythromycin only has a smallish chance to work based on my experience. I would get maracyn plus which almost always works
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #45 
Prettyprada

I will be getting Maracyn Plus.

I am have been shopping around online and I found a 2 gl tank and a 25 watt Hydor Theo heater! (multiple people recommended the heater to me)

Tank:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1343840
I know it's somewhat narrow and tall, but it's the same height as the 2.5 gl tank you showed me, and this one would fit perfectly on my tiny counter in my dorm. Is it a good option?

Heater:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1491296

I'll get him some Prime as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #46 
callistra

Be very careful with the hydor. I've had no luck with them.. they all ran MANY degrees off what they were set and wouldn't keep a steady temp. Some have good luck with them.. just watch it carefully with your in tank thermometer and I'd run it at least 24 hours before subjecting your fish.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #47 
Prettyprada

Oh... Okay. I saw a lot of people gave it good reviews on here, so I thought it was good.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #48 
callistra

Some people really like them. I'm just sharing my personal experience so I'd be sure to give them a test drive is all
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #49 
Prettyprada

Oh yes, I understand. Thanks so much for all your help and quick responses! :)
It is sooo greatly appreciated!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #50 
Prettyprada

I think I may post a thread about upgrading so it'll be in the proper category and more people can see and give tips/advice/suggestions.

Once I get him his 2 gl tank I think I'll just do a whole renovation since I can still exchange his smaller tank! :)