Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #51 
ANHEL123

If you getting 2 gall i would not recommend to cycle it. It too small and i think bettas get sick more ,when you cycle small tanks. And you don't need filters for 2 gall tanks. Also too much water flow can bother betta in the small tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #52 
Prettyprada

Yeah there won't be a filter in his little tank.
But OH MY GOODNESS HE'S NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER!!!!!!!! :'(
I went to all the pet stores in my area that my parents were willing to go to and NONE have the medicine! What they had was Maracyn 2.
I read the box and it said that was for fin rot and other stuff, so that wouldn't work...
I don't want my baby to starve to death :'( but I can't find any medicine! I got him a small quarantine tank to put bottled batts water in and nothing more so I can monitor him even more closely.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #53 
callistra

Maracyn 2 won't work for this. Sorry :( If you've used yellowpages.com to search for 'pet' and 'aquarium' and there is really nothing then you'd have to order online.

He was already in a very small quarantine size tank at 1.5 gallons.. you put him into something even smaller? I wouldn't. Just keep the 1.5g clean with the water changes discussed before, and use your epsom salts and try to get the antibiotics, meanwhile monitoring poop. Ideally, you want him in something bigger with a heater. Don't downsize. It won't help. Ammonia will only build up even faster and you'll need even more water changes.. for the 1.5 you had 2 or even 3 are needed - 50%, 50% 100% weekly or at least 50% 100% weekly.

Are you are least using the epsom baths now? Just keep that up and get meds as soon as you can.

Last edited by callistra; 12-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #54 
Prettyprada

Well the only reason I thought of downsizing is because it would be easier to do water changes since I can't get good quality water around here..
Yeah, I looked everywhere for a place :(

Yes! I'm definitely doing the Epsom salt baths. My last hope is to find something at some pet stores along the ride back up to TN. There has GOT to be something...
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #55 
callistra

If you're not in under a gallon then daily water changes are needed, 50% and 100% alternating, so really you're not saving water. But that's up to you if you want to do this instead.

Good luck..sorry you can't find something.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #56 
Prettyprada

I know... the RO and tap water just scare me :/

Thanks... you've really helped tons! I hope he hangs in there with the Epsom salt baths until I can either find some medicine or order some... He looks bright and happy! Just not eating..as always.

horrible people at pet store were like "We've never heard of a constipated fish before." Seriously? Then they told me to feed him bloodworms...
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #57 
callistra

Yeah.. fish store employees are so ignorant most of the time :(

Didn't you already try blood worms and he spit them out? If he won't even eat a blood worm there's not much else to try unless you want to try some frozen brine shrimp. Dethaw about a pellet's worth in size and see if he can down that, but I doubt that's going to work over what you've tried.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #58 
Prettyprada

Yes, I realized that as soon as they started looking around and not knowing what to give me... I also thought they had the proper medicine but they ended up having the wrong one. -_-

Yes, I did already try bloodworms. He's never had blood worms under my care before, but I decided he needed something to spike his hunger and then I could feed them as treats every now and then. But yeah... I woke up today to his tank full of pellets on the floor! My poor dad was trying to feed him... buuuut he made too much of a mess...
I had to suck all that mess up with the turkey baster!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #59 
Prettyprada

Well as I was checking him out just now, I noticed a bubble nest... What does that mean? I thought they did that because they were happy and ready to spawn?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #60 
LebronTheBetta

You tried garlic juice already, right? Bubblenests don't mean they're happy, it just means as you said that they're ready to spawn/protecting territory. I'm sorry with the incident.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote