Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #1 
TheCheese909

New filter pad, soaking in bacteria supplement?

Right now unfortunately I have to change a filter pad, I rarely do it but this one is wasted.

I've had problems with buying filter pads from WalMart in the past and when placed into the aquarium my fish the next day getting ick. This has happened to me twice now with the Tetra Whisper pads and it's only from WalMart. The ones I have gotten from PetSmart didn't have this issue.

So, I have had this filter pad sitting in my fish storage thing where I keep foods and medications and such but I can't remember where I got this one from. So i'm soaking it for a few days in untreated tap water to try and make sure that my fish won't be getting ick or heaven knows what.

Now since it's a new filter pad it won't have any bb sucked into it, I was wondering if after a few days of untreated tap if I could give it someone else's tank water (i have a few other aquariums) and add in some of my Top Fin Bacteria Supplement, would that help kickstart some of it's bb? I don't really just want to just put it into the filter, which I haven't cleaned or anything so the filter itself should be just fine..

Any thoughts?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #2 
MSG

Just replace the water every day because the chlorine will evaporate

I add additional "filter floss" into each of my filters every 2 weeks or so.

I first attach the floss to the output of the filter and once it turns brown enough, I jam the "dirty" stuff into the filter cartridge area & add more NEW floss back to the output & repeat the cycle.

The Top Fin bacteria supplement is probably the least effective of all the cycling "jumpstarting" products. Doctor T & SeaChem Stability are the only ones I've verified to WORK.
  • When is the last time you replaced the pad?
  • What brand & model filter is this?

I haven't tossed any of my filter's media since August 2012, just added filter floss to all of them. Everything is all good. Tests & healthy fish all indicate "no problems".

I use BioWheel 400, AquaClears, & Tetra Power HOB's......
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

This one in particular is a Tetra Whisper Power filter, for 2 - 10 gallons. I've had this pad for quite awhile, I really don't remember exactly how long, several months atleast. I also have API Quick Start that I could add to it as well, i know the bacteria supplement isn't amazing or anything but i figured I could give it a shot. I suppose I could maybe have both filter pads laying in some aquarium water for awhile, maybe that will help a little too?

I have no idea what filter floss is..
Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #4 
MSG

This one?

http://www.lnt.com/photos/product/st...wer-filter.jpg

Easier to just clip the new cartridge to the old one. 2 weeks there should be enough BB to jumpstart the new filter/tank.

Those whisper cartridges have like an "inner pocket" you're supposed to drop carbon inside.

Cut your filter media in half, insert that dirty stuff instead of carbon & add a drop of the API QS.

DONE.

***Filter floss is basically the same material your filter cartridges are made out of. It's just in BULK form.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

Actually it's this one.

I'll try that though, that doesn't sound half bad.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 
MSG

I know a lot of you have this "in-tank" filter, but I can't stand using those. Designed for their dinky tanks.

The filter would have killed all my little tic tac sized bettas.

That's why Tetra sux, they can't even come up with a BETTER name than POWER to destinguish all their filters.

So confusing & they're just like WARDLEYS, they make the WORST fish foods.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Here's what I do when I have to change the filter cartridge in any of my tanks & so far I've never had an issue. When I do a water change I rinse the new pad in the used tank water instead of tap water. Then I do water tests for a few days to make sure all is good & my water parameters are always good. I'm really surprised you are getting Ich from an unused filter, my understanding is that without a host Ich can't survive & an unused filter wouldn't be a host.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #8 
TheCheese909

Yea, I didn't understand it either, but it happened both times I changed pads, I have never had an ick problem before and I haven't had any after. It was bizarre to say the least, but thankfully my guys recovered fairly quickly from it. I'm thinking i'll let this one soak in tank water for a little while first before I put it back in, I've also recently gotten myself a liquid test kit so i'll be able to check all the parameters first before putting my Betta back in.

MSG, I love these filters. I have 3 of of them, I love that they are quiet and do a great job at keeping the water circulating without blowing my HMs around. They do a great job for me and my boys. :)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Your supposed to change filter pads because they fall apart and the Carbon runs out. If your me plant roots tear them apart.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Are you changing all the media out of your filter or just the one pad? Is there anyway you can run the new media alongside your old one for a week or so to help seed it?

I don't believe the ich parasite can survive being completely dried out so that shouldn't be a worry. Also if they are a brand new they should not be causing ich as there would be no previous exposure to it in a factory. Are you sure the ich is not caused by a spike in ammonia/nitrite because you have removed and replaced some of your old media?

I am really skeptical about nearly all of these bacterial supplements. If it was that quick and easy to start up and cycle a tank everyone would use them rather than sit through the 4-6 weeks of a fishless cycle or put up with the balancing act that is a fish-in cycle. I used Seachem Stability as an experiment (followed the guidelines exactly to the letter) and my fish died because I had a massive ammonia spike. It wasn't until I added mature media from my goldfish tank that I actually saw a reduction in the ammonia levels and got some semblance of a cycle occurring.

Aquarium water does not contain very much beneficial bacteria at all. However, if you still have your old filter pad I believe squeezing as much of the mulm out of this as you can into the new pad can help to seed it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote