Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #1 
indiaeileen

10 Gal Dispenser for 3 Feme's?

So I've just gotten my Betta yesterday and I'm not ready to jump on much more of a project yet but I wanted some advice for some future plans.

I've got a fairly young female (Glinda) and I was hoping to add more gal pals in the future. I heard that if you're gonna add more females you should have a set of 4 or more together, but what about 3 females? I'll probably end up with 4 but is 3 passable for a sorority? 3 and maybe a ghost shrimp or two?

Also, I like the idea of those cool beverage dispensers, that have the pouring spouts near the bottom. I keep my tank now under a window in the kitchen (heated of course) and thought the spout would be really cool for quick easy water changes. Can anyone come up with a con to this idea?
Thanks!
indiaeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

3 is possible, but you have a 25% chance of 2 bettas dominating the last one. I have a sorority of 6 girls, soon to be 7/8. In sororities, the more the merrier, the more girls the less aggression. The recommended tank stats for a sorority is a 10 gallon, heated and cycled, and moderately-harshly decorated like they can't even see each other. The ghost shrimp will be fine, as long as the tank is cycled.

What do you mean by those spouts? Those come only in those 2 gallon "jars". You can't install it in a 10 gallon, sorry. It comes with the jar, not sold separately. First reason, it doesn't suck up all the nasty stuff. Second, what if your substrate was sand? 3rd, you would need new, fresh dechlorinated water. The jar claims that the old water gets cleaned, you're going to have to put in a fresh supply. You need to refresh the used minerals and the filter doesn't care for nitrate. It's a really bad system.

Manuel water changes are actually quite fun. ^.^ lol
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #3 
indiaeileen

No I'm not trying to install a spout to a 10 gallon tank. They have dispenser jars with wide lids and that actually come in 10 gallon sizes. Some really don't look that different then the big glass bowls that you'd get at PetCo.
And as far as the spout not getting everything out, I'm fine with that. My point was the novelty of it being in my kitchen, following suit with how a Betta is sometimes referred to as a fish found near rice fields.

Neat theme I thought.

I am looking forward to manually cleaning the whole thing 100% even if I had a spout. I don't have plans to get a filter.

Thanks for the advice on the females. Think I'll just try for 4 once I get a bigger tank. Stick with shrimp for now :)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

The ammonia will go crazy without a filter, are you sure? That will lead to some ammonia and nitrite issues. Cycling the tank is crucial to the inhabitants' health. The shrimp also need a cycled tank, they're too fragile for any issues.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
aemaki09

The spout sounds like a cool idea, kind of like those self cleaning bowls, but larger! If you have the means and knowledge to do it, then I say its worth trying for sure!

As for 3 females, its completely possible, but i'd rather have 4. I did have 3 in my sorority for a few weeks, when I first started and 2 died when I brought them home, and didnt notice any problems at the time, probably because my tank is full or plants, ways to break up line of sight, and hiding spots, I think it would work out.
But if it were me I'd just spend the few dollars and get a fourth female. It's less of a risk
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 
indiaeileen

Lebron, I'm not gonna NOT clean my tank if I don't have a filter. I'm gonna 100% clean it once a week. Not my point. But thank you for the input, all.