Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plants werent a massive project to me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #22 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Okay, here are some live plant questions then...

If I did buy some real plants, could I have them AND silk plants?
Would I have to cycle the tank before I put the plants in?
Do they need a specific type of substrate? I currently have white(ish) aquarium gravel.
The answer to your first question is yes.

As for your second, you do not need to cycle a tank in order to have live plants. This is a myth that for some reason some pet-stores like to perpetuate and I still have yet to figure out why.

As for needing a special substrate, it really depends upon the plants. Some plants like swords tend to specialize in root feeding. However others pull stuff straight out of the water column. These include Water Wisteria, Riccia, Water Sprite, and Java Ferns as well as Java Moss.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

C.Wendettia is a good beginer plant.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #24 
homegrown terror

anacharis is also a wonderful beginner plant. it can be grown planted, floating, or a mix of the two. if you grow it planted, once it reaches the surface of the water it will start to grow horizontally on the top, and you can cut about 3-4 inches off the end and re-plant it, resulting in even MORE plants for your tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Water Sprite is great.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #26 
Tikibirds

I did buy some real plants, could I have them AND silk plants? yup but be careful as some plants need high light and if you get the tube ones from petco most are NOT aquatic. Amazon sword, anubias and water sprite come in tubes and those are good ones to have.

Would I have to cycle the tank before I put the plants in? no, plants bythemselves can do some kind of plant cycle but you need to have certain kinds, I think.
Do they need a specific type of substrate? I currently have white(ish) aquarium gravel - no but there are special gravel like substrates that are just for plants. Caribesea's eco complete is one of them. Seachem ( I think) also has one but they are nor necessiary. You can use root tabs which are like round waffers you place into the substrate. Or you can do a true natural planted tank with soil and sand. I just have sand and use root tabs and liquid fert for my plants

I got most of mine online from plnated aquariums central. Any of the ones in the beginner section would work. You can just do one or two small anubias tied to a rock if you want, since you have all those silk plants.
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...Plants_c27.htm

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-25-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The Cycling question is both ways. Low nutrient plants probably wont replace it. Byt you still need water changes there are plenty of nutrients in tap water plants need.