Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 
Tobythefish

Question Wierd Spots?

My fish, Frozone, has several whitish-grey spots on his head and back. One is on his right gill flap, and three or four are on his back in front of his dorsal fin. They are about the size of his eye or a little bigger. They are not fuzzy, and from the front they seem to stick up, like several scales came loose and are just hanging there. His heater is a little small, so his average temperature is about 76. I'm planning to upgrade sometime in January. It is probably ammonia or stress related, since I have gotten a little lazy the last month or so on water changes, only 1 100% a week for a 2.5 gallon tank. It doesn't look like ick. I would take some pictures, but I don't think I could get a good one of the spots. It's probably no big deal, but I'd rather freak out than have a dead fish. I am doing a 50% change today, and I have AQ salt to put in.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 
bettastarter

Here is a link that I used to help try to find out what could be wrong with my fish

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...-included.html

Hope this helps!

Sounds like fungus though... :(

I know it's a pain but if you could get a 5 to 10 gallon tank - Seems a lot bigger but it aint too bad - Your fish would be happier and your water changes would be easier.
http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...-included.html

This is what I use and my Betta loves it!
and then you get to add more decorations etc.

good luck!

Also, here is some medicine that seems to help but be careful with dosage in a small tank because it can kill your fish in excessive quantities.
http://www.petco.com/product/12396/API-PimaFix.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/110972/...t=OnSiteSearch

Last edited by bettastarter; 12-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
bettastarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 
callistra

More info would be helpful so we make sure we don't miss something: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also photos would be helpful.

Definitely check on ammonia levels, especially if you have been slacking. The number one cause of fish disease is poor water quality.

NEVER use any of the "fix" meds - melafix, primafix on bettas. It coats their labrynth lung organ and causes them to suffocate

Have you seen him rubbing on any decor? He may be scratching on things and that is causing damage to his scales. This is a sign of parasite issues like ich and velvet and also gill flukes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #4 
Tobythefish

His ammonia levels are fine, I saw the spots Thursday, did a 100% water change that day, and am doing a 50% today. I don't think I can get good pictures of the spots, but they look a lot like fish scales. They're not fuzzy, don't look like columnaris, and he doesn't have any symptoms of dropsy. His behaviour is the same as it has always been, and I'm ordering a better heater soon to warm the tank up better. It looks like 4 or 5 scales are just falling off. A reason why I think it is scales is because I can tell that one on his side of his back is standing up. It doesn't stick up like dropsy though, just like it's slipping off. No rubbing or scratching. I know melafix, bettafix, and pimafix are bad for bettas, so I'm not using them. I'm going to add a bit of AQ salt with the change tonight. I think it is not actually a disease, just a reaction from high ammonia levels that could result in a disease attacking Frozone. I'm pretty sure clean water and a bit of AQ salt will be enough, but I'd much rather be safe and post than have a dead fish. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 
Tobythefish

Well, two spots left. I guess it was nothing.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6 
bettastarter

Oh! Sorry. I heard the fix stuff worked on bettas too. I won't use that now. Thanks for the tip!
bettastarter is offline   Reply With Quote