Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 
KellyL

My little man has a badly ripped fin?!

Some idiot unplugged my fish tank's heater to run the vacuum cleaner and didnt plug it back in!! I noticed after what must have been about 3 days when he started to look real annoyed and I went to investigate. - I have now taped the plugs to the extension lead!

He looked relatively unscathed except for a small hole in the middle of his 'belly' fin and over the next week it grew bigger and bigger until it ripped all the way to the end!! - the rip starts about 5mm from his belly. I tried everything to get it to heal (and not to get worse in the first place) but nothing worked and its showing no sign of healing now - after over a month!

What can I do to help the little guy?! I upped his temperature by a few degrees, added a little salt, added fish guard and put more tapsafe in there (not all at the dame time though)

Thank you and Happy Christmas!
Kelly
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 
RaptorX8

Stresscoat can help with healing fins. My guy got a couple little tears and a hole from bad temporary decorations while he was in treatment. Two weeks later and you can't even tell. I used Stresscoat.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 
KellyL

I tried stresscoat. Sorry its what I meant by tapsafe - It depends what brand you buy but I'm currently working my way through a 1.9l bottle of the good stuff (Stresscoat)
how much extra did you put in to get good results?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 
RaptorX8

I did the double dose, what's recommended for treatment. I couldn't use anything else as he'd just had salt treatment for ich, and then life guard for fungus right after that.

Last edited by RaptorX8; 12-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.
RaptorX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
DragonFish

A nice clean rip or hole on a healthy betta in a clean, warm environment should heal up nicely within a day or two....but it sounds like the rip on your guy has just gotten progressively worse, it could possibly that he is either biting his fins(which is unlikely if his tail is undamaged....its a little harder to get at just their anal)or that he has a touch of finrot. Do the edges look black/bloody? Could you provide a picture?

Also, what all exactly did you treat with and for how long? Have you removed and stopped all treatments at the moment?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 
KellyL

It started as a little hole and I thought no worries so I upped the temp by 2* added another half dose of stresscoat and a dose of salt.
It got progressively worse throughout the first week so I did a water change and added the health guard. But it kept getting worse and completely split.

At the moment he still has a bit of salt in there and a normal dose of stresscoat.
I will get you a picture. It doesnt look like the finrot he has had before, its not red or black around the rip or edges and its not spreading/effecting other fins. I'm just baffled!

Thank you! :)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 
DragonFish

A picture would definitely be very helpful....but if the edges don't look black or red or like they're dying, then it really should have healed up much quicker. What size tank is he in? Is he really spunky and active? Could he have split it further swimming/faring? Anything in the tank he could have snagged it on?
Do you see any progress at all? Any clear regrowth?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 
KellyL

He doesnt have any clear re-growth at all. He has some thicker white tissue towards the top of the rip but thats it.
I dont really think he could have snagged it on anything, I was keeping a close eye on him and it just got progressively worse not just really bad all of a sudden.

He is in an 8l tank, now I know there is a great deal of debate over tank size I did research before I bought it and asked the people in the fish store and they said it was ok! + the tank was branded a "perfect home for your Betta" there wasnt a lot I could have done. But he is lively and responsive, he will eat as much as I put in there! Apart from the rip there is nothing else wrong with him!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #9 
KellyL

The best I could get! :/
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 
bryanacute

Could he be biting it out of irritation?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote