Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1 
resa

male or female?

i will try to attach a picture of him with this post...

please check my album and look at my beautiful betta and let me know if he's truly male or was i misguided.... i have another thread open asking other questions. i started this thread bc the other one isnt getting me any where. ive had my betta a week or less. this is the first fish i've ever had. hes in a 1 gallon bowl tank. which is a little over half full. the tank came with a multi color LED lighting system. it has fake rocks and a fake glow plant. no heater or thermometer.... the way my fish looks in my album photos is not his real color. for some reason the LED lights make him look a different color. he's primarily gray... unless they change colors and im unaware of it...... my biggest concerns are.... 1 is he a male. 2. why is he making a bubble nest. 3 why is he not eating the tetrabetta pellets 4 is he happy 5 can we tell about how old he is by looking at his pictures? 6. what should i be feeding him? like i said i'm currently giving him tetrabetta floating pellets sold at walmart......
i am sorry i made 2 threads but i want to educate myself the best i can with my baby and make sure i take care of him to the best of my ability. he was a christmas present..... when i get more money i will get a bigger tank and a heater and thermometer etc.

Last edited by resa; 06-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #2 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
i will try to attach a picture of him with this post...

please check my album and look at my beautiful betta and let me know if he's truly male or was i misguided.... i have another thread open asking other questions. i started this thread bc the other one isnt getting me any where. ive had my betta a week or less. this is the first fish i've ever had. hes in a 1 gallon bowl tank. which is a little over half full. the tank came with a multi color LED lighting system. it has fake rocks and a fake glow plant. no heater or thermometer.... the way my fish looks in my album photos is not his real color. for some reason the LED lights make him look a different color. he's primarily gray... unless they change colors and im unaware of it...... my biggest concerns are.... 1 is he a male. 2. why is he making a bubble nest. 3 why is he not eating the tetrabetta pellets 4 is he happy 5 can we tell about how old he is by looking at his pictures? 6. what should i be feeding him? like i said i'm currently giving him tetrabetta floating pellets sold at walmart......
i am sorry i made 2 threads but i want to educate myself the best i can with my baby and make sure i take care of him to the best of my ability. he was a christmas present..... when i get more money i will get a bigger tank and a heater and thermometer etc.
just posting another pic

Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 
resa

just another pic added

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
just posting another pic
posting another pic

Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 
VictorP

It's a male!
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #5 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorP View Post
It's a male!
thank you for that information. i am now going to upload a pic of what i think might be a bubble nest... if it is can you or someone explain why he is doing this

Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #6 
Viva

Yes, that's definitely a bubble nest
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
VeilTail

Veiltail male, very pretty!
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

I agree he's definitely a male bubble nests are a natural thing males do & sometimes females will too. The bubble nests are what the males will take care of the eggs in if they were to breed, its nothing to worry about. As for not eating, sometimes it takes them some time to settle in & start eating plus if the water is too cold he may not eat. Also he may not like the pellets, try New Life Spectrum. He definitely needs heat, his water should be 76-80 at least. I would fill the bowl up more so he has more water volume. Is there a filter? Yes they do change colors when they're in a healthy environment they tend to darken when sick or stressed they can lighten up. In that small volume of water frequent water changes will be necessary.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I agree he's definitely a male bubble nests are a natural thing males do & sometimes females will too. The bubble nests are what the males will take care of the eggs in if they were to breed, its nothing to worry about. As for not eating, sometimes it takes them some time to settle in & start eating plus if the water is too cold he may not eat. Also he may not like the pellets, try New Life Spectrum. He definitely needs heat, his water should be 76-80 at least. I would fill the bowl up more so he has more water volume. Is there a filter? Yes they do change colors when they're in a healthy environment they tend to darken when sick or stressed they can lighten up. In that small volume of water frequent water changes will be necessary.
thank you. i just changed his water 100% i used 2L of aqua culture betta pro water solution for betta fish..... i cleaned his glowing plant and rocks as well.... i do not have a filter and i dont have a heater..... i do believe the water is to cold tho. as far as his color when i got him from walmart he was gray.... when i was cleaning his tank and took him out i noticed he is actually becoming colored. my mother in law thinks we may have a heater around this house somewhere (her daughter has mississippi map turtles) however i dont believe we'll find the heater..... i dont have the means to get a heater or filter at this time. is there another way i can heat up the water? as far as checking the tanks temp all i have is a regular thermometer we would use.... as far as filling his tank bowl up more, can i use tap water? i do not have any more of the aqua betta pro water..... any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.. thank you :) i really hope i can do everything in my power to make my betta happy and healthy and kept alive :(
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #10 
resa

bumping up hmmmm