Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 
Meggie6347

Pop eye!

Hey everyone! It seems like my female betta has a bit of pop eye? but I am confused because these are my results:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5

Tempurature is at about 80 degrees and the tank is ten gallons

If you need any more info let me know!

What could be causing it?

Please help and thanks!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 
callistra

Well it looks like your cycle is in good shape. This disease is usually caused by fish stress and poor water quality. Can you please provide some more info: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 I just want to make sure we don't miss anything.

Most eye infections are gram positive in nature so I would use an antibiotic like Kanaplex. It is the best available but it can be hard to find so if you can't find it I would try Maracyn Plus (this is not the same as Maracyn or Maracyn II) and if you can't find that Furan 2. I would also get some epsom salts from your local pharmacy or the pharmacy section of your grocery store. They must be pure magnesium sulfate with no other additives - check the ingredients label as this is extremely important. Predissolve them in some water and add them starting at a concentration of 1/4 tsp per gallon of tank water. Increase this up to 1 tsp per gallon of tank water. I would treat for two weeks.

It would be idea to treat in a hospital tank or to get a 1-2 gallon acrylic critter keeper or bowl of some kind, fill half full with water and treat floating in the larger tank to keep it warm. You can treat in the tank itself, however the antibiotics may crash your cycle.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote