Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #41 
ANHEL123

How often you do his water change? Yes you need to do 50% and 100% or even 2x50% along with 100% water changes but when you treating with aquarium salt you really need to do daily water changes. And i would increase dose up to 3 tsp/gall. When you use salt it really important to do it right way or it not going to help.
Bulging eye might be pop eye and usually need epsom salt, but if you saying he is better then continue aquarium salt because i think he has some kind bacterial infection going one.
Do not afraid to use 3 tsp/gall i think that what you little guy need. He definitely has a few thing going on with him and need to be treated.

And yes you need to add salt every time when you change the water.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #42 
sunlight

+1
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #43 
gregwegmann

Here is a picture of my poor Thunder. I know it's low res but I hope you can see everything you need to. The color's obviously poor, his fins are half as long as they were when I first got him, his eyes (which aren't visible in this picture) are inflamed and red, his gills are red. I've given him 50% water changes for two days then a 100% on the third with treatments of aquarium salt. I think I started treating him too late because there's been no improvement in a week. He also still hasn't eaten. Should I continue treatment? Is there any hope for him?
Attached Images

gregwegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #44 
ANHEL123

Oh so sorry, he does not look good at all.Continue salt and daily 100% water changes with betta acclimation. Can you buy medications?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #45 
callistra

Oh my.. I would skip the aquarium salt and go straight to antibiotics with this one. He looks like he's headed for body rot if he hasn't gotten there already.

Go to yellowpages.com and search for 'pet' and 'aquarium' - separate searches. Find everything in your area (or surrounding areas if you can drive) that would sell things for aquariums. Call and try to find a store that will sell you Seachem Kanaplex. If you absolutely cannot find it look for Maracyn Plus. You should be able to find that at least but if you can't look for Furan 2. I can help you dose when I know more info.

I'm trying to sort through your thread but I'm not seeing much info on how you are keeping him.. Please fill this out as best you can: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 I know he's in a 1 gallon and you're treating with aq.. how much.. 1 tsp per gallon? Sorry I'm trying to read through your thread quickly as I need to leave the house soon.. What conditioner are you using and how much are you dosing?

Here's how to do water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
ETA: You're not.. pouring salt in the tank right? You're measuring out just 1 tsp and dissolving it fully in a cup with a little of his tank water before pouring it in.. fully dissolved.. right? And you don't have to keep adding.. you only add more when you make a water change..

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 07:45 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #46 
gregwegmann

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 (lower than usual)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes?
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and flakes (none have been eaten
How often do you feed your betta fish? Mornings

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 and 100 alternating (since he became sick)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TopFin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colors have faded, his fins are half gone, his eyes are bulging and red, his gills are turning red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He never swam around much or even ate.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, aquarium salt every water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #47 
gregwegmann

I pre-dissolve the salt
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #48 
callistra

Sounds like you're doing everything right.. just be careful about acclimating with so many large changes.

He must just have had a really advanced infection when you got him.

Find antibiotics.. if he looks like that a week on AQ it's not going to help him.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #49 
ANHEL123

I am wondering while greg don't have medication he might use Epsom salt until he get medications. Epsom salt is also antibacterial and very mild. Epsom salt you can get at any pharmacy. I am not sure if he will make it though. But he still alive ....
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #50 
sunlight

poor thing i thing it all together that he was sick to begin with and lost of nutritient. Usually if you do aquarium salt you need to finish minimum course of 10 days. But not sure why he got worse. I think Epsom salt might be good idea until greg can get medications. Do daily water changes.
But also this one i am not sure though i would go and check your water checked for ammonia. I hope your fish will get better but if he will die don't blame your self. It not that you didn't treat him you trying your best. But go to the pet store and check you water just in case before you get another fish.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote