Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Pond Snails

I bought anacharis that was infested with pond snails. I can not kill them (violates my morals), so I have been caring for them. I gave one to my cousins 5 year old daughter months ago. "Wormy" has not reproduced living in a pint plastic jar. So, I have been working on moving all of them into pints. I am guessing that they do not reproduce because it is just enough space and food for one. Anyway, my question is... how frequently would you change the water in a pint jar with a pond snail in it? I have a couple jars with 4 or 5 in them (as I am still working on coming up with more jars). How frequently would you change that water? I am feeding them pieces of lettuce. Does anyone happen to know how long they live? I am hoping to find them homes, but just in case (which is probably what will happen) I am wondering how long I'm stuck with jars full of snails.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 
aemaki09

I think I've read that they can live for 2-3 years.
And I'd say one 50-100% change/week is plenty. I've also heard of people only replacing water that's evaporated and not even dechlorinating and them doing fine. I'm sure there is something more exact out there, but this is what I have read when looking them up after they got in my tanks.
Not sure if you have other types of snails and just don't want this kind, or I'd you have researched much about snails at all, but just in case::
You might want to supplement their diet with calcium so their shells don't have defficiencies but as long as your p.h. Is above 7 they will be fine.
If possible I'd add some kind of live plant in there to keep them happy, to graze and hang out on, but it's not a must as long a they have algae/algae tabs to chew on and some fish food or blanched vegetables, put it in at night and out in the morning. A very small amount is more than enough for them though. Natural light would be a good idea too, to grow some algae for them.
Goodluck with them! Hopefully you can find them homes! I wouldn't mind taking them but Im 2 states away lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Have you tried offering them up for sale on here?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Have you tried offering them up for sale on here?
I had not. I did not expect that people would want pond snails when they can get them in easily for free at most fish stores. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I think I've read that they can live for 2-3 years.
And I'd say one 50-100% change/week is plenty. I've also heard of people only replacing water that's evaporated and not even dechlorinating and them doing fine. I'm sure there is something more exact out there, but this is what I have read when looking them up after they got in my tanks.
Not sure if you have other types of snails and just don't want this kind, or I'd you have researched much about snails at all, but just in case::
You might want to supplement their diet with calcium so their shells don't have defficiencies but as long as your p.h. Is above 7 they will be fine.
If possible I'd add some kind of live plant in there to keep them happy, to graze and hang out on, but it's not a must as long a they have algae/algae tabs to chew on and some fish food or blanched vegetables, put it in at night and out in the morning. A very small amount is more than enough for them though. Natural light would be a good idea too, to grow some algae for them.
Goodluck with them! Hopefully you can find them homes! I wouldn't mind taking them but Im 2 states away lol
I have not heard anything about calcium before. I do have a mystery snail that eats the live plants in my tank (that is really who the plants are for). Do I need to do anything for him?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add plants in there Jars.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 
aemaki09

If your ph is above 7 I wouldn't worry about it. You really don't need to do anything special for any type of snail unless the ph is under 7 then you want to try to bring it up, or atleast offer some cuttlebone. I think the same care guidelines go for every snail species.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add a bit of Anarchis in every Jar.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I would add a bit of Anarchis in every Jar.
I will not buy more anacharis. I have bought it twice, and both times ended up with snails. I do not need anymore than I already have.

Also, adding a plant to each jar is not really possible. I have about 7 jars at the moment. Plants cost $3-$4 for cheap ones. 4 snails in 1 jar ate a small anubis in 4 days. I have been constantly having to replace my plants over the past few months in my tank, and I have probably over $100 in plants. The last batch (of plants) I pulled out and I am trying to save them. They are in a quarantine tank until I can be sure Neptune's 10 g is clear of pond snails.

aemaki09 - Thanks for the information. I do not know the ph in the jars. I will check and if needed add cuttlebone.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Well the ph I would guess is the same as it is in your tanks. BUT checking it is always good! Instead of plants just add algea wafer bits or some blanched veggies and they will be fine!