Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
PopzTheBetta

bio orb info

my sister got this tank called a bio orb its 8 gallons do you guys now what im talking about ? anyway is it safe for a betta?
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 
callistra

It's not ideal because it's tall and narrow and betta's like shallow and wide areas. Also the pictures I've seen look like the top is completely enclosed and doesn't let air move in and out. If this is the case it is completely unacceptable because betta's need to access air at the top of their tanks to breathe. I've already read a lot about the filter being too strong for bettas, and people are reporting their fish getting sucked in and killed and requiring some kind of tube guard..

Not really sure about the filter and how well the bb can grow and be established.. seem to be an undergravel filter? Seems to clean/replace the filter the entire tank needs to be drained and pulled apart. That would seem to make maintaining a cycle very difficult.

Maybe this can be used without a filter with weekly 100% water changes or something like that, and keep the little top off so the betta can breathe..

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 
PopzTheBetta

no no sorry the orb on not the cube it has space on top to breath and the filters this rock stuff
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
callistra

There's no lid that completely covers the top?

You might be able to use it without the filter and 100% weekly water changes. I wouldn't use the filter.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #5 
PopzTheBetta

wait please goggle bio orb because i dont think you know what im talking about cause abarently the "filter" in the bio orb are these special rocks
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 
callistra

http://www.amazon.com/biOrb-Aquarium.../dp/B000XU3GJE
http://www.biorbfishtanks.com/biorb8gallon.aspx
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12430300
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #7 
PopzTheBetta

ah so you do know what im talking about sorry, the tank has holes on the lid so air gets in and it isnt filled al the way how can i make the orb safe cause theres no way my parents are taking it back (they dont care about the fish only that its pretty)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 
callistra

Well then just don't add the filter and know you'll need to do 100% weekly changes because you can't cycle that safely. I agree it's very pretty. Too bad it's not practical. It reminds me of fluval tanks with a lot of changes for the worst.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #9 
PopzTheBetta

sigh i begged my mom to take it back cause i knew it would be work "grumble"
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

I have the 4 gallon baby biorb. I've never had at problems with it, its circular, and my fish always love to get the zoomies and swim in circles around it.
People on this site hate the tank, and I know that, but I enjoy it. They don't get sucked in the filter tube, because its not a filter tube, its an air pump. The filter is an undergravel air pump. The filter is a bit strong, but I've never had any problems with it. You can baffle it with a little piece of filter sponge.
I have river rocks on the bottom, which are smooth. I buy regular decor for it as well. Sorry I hadn't noticed this thread earlier!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote