Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #11 
callistra

Your lucky.. because fish do sometimes get sucked into the tube/filter somehow. The current is also very strong.. your fish is probably not enjoying swimming in circles around it so much as can't help but go in circles around it due to the current.

If your mom likes modern tanks this one may be better.. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo It uses an aquaclear 20 filter so if you turn the filter all the way down and add a prefilter sponge: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-Fl.../dp/B002LL32RY onto the intake tube it should be safe.. you can also baffle them with sponges around the outflow like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122825 Thing with this tank is there is NO airspace at the top so you'd have to keep the water level down a bit and modify it by drilling holes at the top.. if you don't think your mom will go for that then don't even suggest it because it would be a total death trap for a betta with no air on top.

Just trying to think of "pretty" modern options that would be ok.

ETA: This has an open top: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo You'd need to make a lid for it so your betta wouldn't jump.. Same with this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo Chii has a top you can buy for it now. I don't know about how the Aqueon Evolve works so maybe someone with experience can comment. I've seen a lot of people use chii with bettas, but again I have no personal experience. Seems it would be better than the orb's filter at least.

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 10:20 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #12 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Your lucky.. because fish do sometimes get sucked into the tube/filter somehow. The current is also very strong.. your fish is probably not enjoying swimming in circles around it so much as can't help but go in circles around it due to the current.
But that tube is the outflow, not the inflow. The in is on the bottom, and as long as its covered in rocks they shouldn't get stuck. && I have the tube covered anyway to baffle the air pump.
He swims happily through all the plants and stuff either way. Sleeps in the plants and his cave. If he looked unhappy or seemed stressed he'd be removed ASAP.
Maybe my two fish are just abnormal. But Goblin used to play hide n' seek in that tank with me. He'd hide in the plants & stare at me, and when I looked at him he'd zoom around the tank & hide again. (usually in the same spot) It was cute! :D

Its really whatever works for OP.
Just because it goes against the norm doesn't mean its bad. Mine is heated & I do partial WC's, since 100% changes usually stress them out. && I don't let the water params go all wonky. (:

Last edited by xjenuhfur; 12-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #13 
PopzTheBetta

yay someone who knows what it is now i can rest at ease thx
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #14 
xjenuhfur

Anytime. If you've got any questions about the tank, send me a PM. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #15 
callistra

I don't own one but I am well aware of what is. My LFS has some set up. They used to house some fish in them on display but now they're running without any fish inside for some reason. I have read on multiple sites about fish being killed by the filter (both that tried to swim down the tube which is unlikely with a betta and that got stuck in the rocks below), and have actually watched some get whipped around inside at my LFS.. Idk what else to say. I also don't remember any gaps in the round lid, but you have it in front of you so you'd know better. Good luck.

Last edited by callistra; 12-24-2012 at 10:58 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Just a Betta. I have read bowl shaped have lower bioload.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #17 
PopzTheBetta

do not worry the betta is in there and he is super happy his fins are outstreched and the current isnt to bad, he follows the finger and swims happely i dont think theres anything to worry about anymore but thanks for the concern
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #19 
mahi

I have one. It's not the best tank, but also not the worst.

I don't use the lava rocks, I use aquarium gravel. My cycle has been pretty stable.
I also pinched the plastic tube with a paper clip to reduce the flow. My betta seems pretty happy in it.

For live plants: my anubias grow like weed. All the others: not so much. I think the light in there is pretty weak.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote