Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 
bryanacute

Unhappy Broken Tail

So after a series of biting, and nipping from the other girls, I put Wonder in her own tank. Its filtered and will be heated hopefully. About all of the anal fin is gone. I can see a bit of white growth. Is there anything I should do to speed up the process, or just let it grow out without any meds?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #2 
DragonFish

For just normal fin damage from biting or taring, clean warm water is the very best treatment. No need to get into medications or salt treatments unless it turns into something like finrot, which is easily preventable with clean warm water anyway.
IMO/E Nothing really 'speeds up' the process anyway. Might grow a little slower if you have harder water, but there isn't much to be done about that. Fins regrow and grow out at their own pace regardless. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

+1 ^ Clean, warm water is always the best medicine.
However, high protein foods would speed up the growth of new tissue. High protein foods like mosquito larvae, BBS, all those live foods.. IAL is also a good extra but it just has healing properties. Not sure on helping the healing process, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Are you using stress coat as well? Not sure how much that would speed it up, but it cannot hurt.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 
bryanacute

No, at the time she isn't being treated with meds. Just warm water and a filter. She is in her own 2.5 gallon tank. Its acutaly pretty big.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
Perry the platypus

Can we see how much of it is left?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 
DragonFish

That sounds fine. :) She should heal up just fine over the next couple/few months or so.
I wouldn't bother with the filter though in that size of a tank, especially since you're girl is currently healing up from some damage and stress the last thing she needs is to go through an unstable cycling process in a small tank. I'd suggest just removing it and preforming 1-2 50% and 1 100% water changes weekly instead.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
+1 ^ Clean, warm water is always the best medicine.
However, high protein foods would speed up the growth of new tissue. High protein foods like mosquito larvae, BBS, all those live foods.. IAL is also a good extra but it just has healing properties. Not sure on helping the healing process, though.
I've got a boy who's notorious for biting his fins, nips them down to absolute nubs sometimes. (Still trying to figure out all the causes for this behaviour with this particular fish) But I've noticed that the NLS pellets do wonders for growing him back in faster. I'm sure it's the higher protien like Lebron said, but that might give you an option for pellets in addition to the good live foods Lebron rec'd. :)

I hope that helps, and I hope your poor girl is looking/feeling better soon!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #9 
bryanacute

Thank you! I will get a pic soon
Old 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 
Luimeril

Indian Almond Leaf helps out a lot. if you can't get that, Blackwater Extract or Betta Spa helps, too. :B otherwise, as the other's have said, just clean, warm water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote