Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #91 
Sparrowhawk

Ugh, I have no idea what's going on with my body today, but I'm in an awful lot of pain for no apparent reason. Random joints getting stabbing pains, weird headaches, it hasn't been fun. Blah! Here's hoping that tomorrow is less painful, because this is just stupid!

Good news is that I have le boyfriend's full support for getting another fishie, as long as it's a solid, bright colour so he can see it well with his colourblindness, heh. After seeing the lovely DTPK, I've decided that my ideal fourth fish would be something like that white one, but in a perfect world would be an EE too, however I know it's fairly unlikely. Something about the DTPK shape appeals to me so much, I think it's the symmetry. I like symmetry. But EEs are beyond adorable. So it's a hard one. Just trying to work things out in case the stunning white boy above is sold before I'm able to purchase, which is a pretty big possibility. I guess I'll just use the time between now and purchase time to think hard about all of it!

And also since fish won't be shipped till mid-late February, I've got enough time to get my cycle started! Yay! Poor Feyd and Weehawk will have to endure their fish-in cycle, unfortunately, but at least I'll be able to start a fishless cycle before a new boy comes and at least get it past the ammonia spike business...
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #92 
Sparrowhawk

Good news! Falkor seems to be out of the woods with his possible fin rot. Still have no idea how that happened though... How on earth does it happen when water quality is great? Ugh. Either way, no more discolouration, and I can see some re-growth. The idiot's still probably going to nom down on that tail of his, so he's chosen the teeny tank for himself. I moved the tank to my desk today as I don't trust my bookshelf with the weight of two tanks, and might look into getting some nice things for him after the AQ salt treatment is finished. But yay, no more badness for my little boy!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #93 
AyalaCookiejar

Callistra suggested that I get Vita Chem for fin rot... It's like a vitamin supplement and it can be used indefinitely. It's kind of expensive... $7 for 4 ounces, though and its only two drops per gallon. I looked up the average number of drops per ounce, though and water is like 500-600 drops per ounce so the 4 ounce should last awhile. It has a shelf life of about a year if its kept in a cool place.

I am treating Okami in AQ salt now for fin rot that's no doubt from her biting her fins during shipping, I just started treating DaBaDee AGAIN for internal parasites and Bahari is in Epsoms for constipation. Ugh. 3 of my 5 fish are being treated for something now. What fun! -_-
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #94 
Sparrowhawk

Ahh, I'll definitely look into getting that product then, sounds pretty amazing. $7 for anything is ridiculously cheap over here, I doubt I'll find it at that price. But that's fine, I don't mind spending money on my fishies if I have the cash.

It sucks that you have to treat 3 at once! That's a lot of work... I hope they get better soon, both for their sake and yours!

(Just a wee bit of an exciting thing: I messaged the seller of the white boy I wanted asking if it's likely he'll have any similar fish available at the time of the export to Australia, and he offered to hold the fish for me, which I totally wasn't expecting. Super excited about it, and so's the boyfriend. He doesn't get as excited about fish stuff as I do but since planning the aquascaping he's been getting more enthusiastic, and just about flipped his lid with excitement when I told him the news, haha!)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #95 
AyalaCookiejar

Yay!!!! :)
Yeah, I keep forgetting you are in Australia. It's from the site drsfostersmith.com (I think lol) and they also have that one and only live nitrifying bacteria that Callistra also successfully used, but that's a little more expensive and it can't be in super hot/cold temps so it would not work for either of us to ship it right now, LOL.

She did offer to send me some different meds for DaBaDees internal parasites that are more effective and less harsh than what I have which is SOOOOOOO incredibly nice of her <3 <3 !!!! I really hope he makes it, I've had him longer than any other fish and I'd hate to lose him, he just looks so miserable :/
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #96 
Sparrowhawk

He'll make it with a doting fish-parent like you looking after him! :)
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #97 
AyalaCookiejar

I hope so! He's definitely a trooper - he's survived a lot. I'd say he's one of the hardier fish around. After all, he did survive both Walmart and myself when I was a clueless fish owner... And also my boyfriends uncle who felt the need to over feed him tropical flakes all the time (I never fed him those and finally threw them out after that). His uncle moved in unexpectedly for a few weeks and took over the room where I keep my fish. I'm so glad he's gone, LOL.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #98 
Sparrowhawk

Oh man... I'm with you on the clueless feeding thing being annoying and not wanting that person near your fish ever again!

A few years ago, when I was completely clueless and blindly trusted the pet shop guy, I had five tetras in a small tank (I know, I know, but back then I didn't know and thought I was being told correct information) and it's a long story as to why I didn't want them in my room anymore, but in short that nutzoid ex I wrote about earlier had bought them for me right before leaving and doing some more screwed up stuff, so while I didn't want them to just die, I didn't want them in my face all the time, so I relocated them to the living room. My grandmother was put in charge of feeding and I only had to do water changes because truthfully, although it wasn't their fault (and I didn't want them to suffer for what some moron had done) I didn't want to spend an awful lot of time with them.

She overfed them so much that she ran out of the food that should've lasted for a very long time... In a couple of weeks. And I hadn't noticed because it'd sink to the bottom, and I'd vac it out and being clueless thought the rotting food was their poop. *the most epic of facepalms* Needless to say the poor things didn't last that long... Always felt guilty about it since...

Of course she's not allowed near my bettas now! >.< I did tell her to NEVER turn the tank lights on when it's dark in my room, because the boys will see their reflections and get stressed, and said that if I happen to be home late one day if I've gone on an outing, to turn the tank lights off for me please. So I come home late one night, and the room lights are off, the tank lights are on. I'd left the tank lights off because while I'd explained all that to her, I didn't think she'd remember to turn the tank lights off, but she'd turned them on when it got dark. I flipped my lid, because I'd spent about 10 minutes explaining exactly why that was a no-no. Since then I've been reluctant to go out past sundown, despite all the nagging that I don't see my friends often enough, and that I really need to get out more. I'd rather not expose my fish to that stuff...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #99 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol that's why I got a light timer. I take care of everything including the lights when I'm not even here, and I just tell everybody DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. Or bad things shall come. I have so many different kinds of food that they wouldn't know WHAT to feed them, anyways, lol.
My mom doesn't understand why I have to take them with me to college. One of my biggest issues here is Bahari being blind... He's hard to feed and its also hard not to let the pellets sink by accident and I know no one in my family has the patience to feed him or clean up all the sunken food.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #100 
Sparrowhawk

Yeah, a lot of people don't have an awful lot of patience when it comes to pets that aren't theirs, even when they do mean to help.

Since my room gets a fair bit of natural light, now I've opted to just leave the blinds open when I'm out, and the tank lights off. That way they still get their day/night business, but won't be terrorised by clueless grannies. LOL! That sounded awful, but kind of funny... I do love my grandma, promise. Hehe.