betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #131 
LittleBettaFish

Looks like Age of Aquariums does

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=5885&catID=99
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #132 
Sparrowhawk

Woo! Clearly, your searching abilities are superior to mine! I know what some of my next paycheck's going on!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #133 
Sparrowhawk

So we were going to overhaul one tank at a time, with one on each day of this weekend (boyfriend has a three day weekend this week, yay!) but we ended up getting them all done! I'm not too happy about Weehawk's tank - I'd forgotten that one piece of driftwood that I'd bought just wouldn't sink, despite being weighed down under water for a few weeks. Having made plans to use it, I was a little upset when the plans fell to pieces (I'd built the whole tank around this piece). But I somehow managed to salvage everything else, though I might tear it down and rescape after a while. I'll just wait and see if I warm up to it or not.

Not sure what the boys think of their sponge filters, but I sure think they're noisy! Well, the air pumps anyway. But it's nothing I can't get used to, might just have a couple of restless nights.

Picspam, definitely, when the water clears more, haha!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #134 
Sparrowhawk

Aaaand I just realised how small a fraction of the money I've spent on these little guys was actually on them and the essentials for them. The rest has been on fancying everything up, plants, lights, and additives for the plants. Haha! Crazy. And to think, the same day as spending almost 12 hours on my first ever go at aquascaping, I'm already thinking of what I could add to make things look nicer when I get better lighting. CRAZY TALK! Haha.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #135 
Sparrowhawk

Today I've been mostly just sitting in my room, enjoying the products of yesterday's work.

I've also been planning Falkor's new tank look for when we find out whether he's bitten his tail just 'cause he's a biter, or because he wants his open space. I'm an idiot and thought that he absolutely must have a hidey-hole and leaves to rest on, so I hadn't considered just leaving his home mostly bare. He hadn't bitten until I made his little jungle for him, so perhaps he just wants everything gone. We'll see what happens when his fins grow back. They're coming along nicely, and I can only hope that after so much derping I've got to the root of the problem.

If not, I've still got a tank in an easily-accessible area for me to do super-frequent WCs with, so either way, I've got him looked after. Also either way, I've got some stuff planned to make his tank look a little better than it does at the moment.

So far, what I want to do is a purple and blue theme. I have an intense dislike (for my own tanks at least) of fake plants that attempt to look natural. I do however like the ones in crazy colours. So I've got silk plants in purple and blue on the way, and will be covering the floor of the tank in purple and blue glass beads. Figured if he's gotta have artificial stuff, might as well make it really unnatural! Everyone else has beautiful planted tanks with all natural stuff inside them, and the special petal can have bright stuff, hahaha.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #136 
Sparrowhawk

I may have just ordered some subwassertang from eBay... I know, I'm terrible. It just looks so awesome. And I could really use a filler plant of sorts for Feyd's tank. Despite having the same amount of plants as everyone else, it just looks... I dunno, a bit barren? I guess the driftwood structure my partner made and was really proud of gives it an ominous feel. Which is appropriate, considering Feyd's named after a villain, but still, an awesome new plant never goes astray!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #137 
LittleBettaFish

Did you get it from Australia? If not cancel your order for sure as it can be seized by customs as plants can't come in from overseas without special permits etc. The seller will assure you it can but then they send it something like an incorrectly marked envelope (they declare it as something else other than plants).

If it is from an Australian seller or you already knew the above that's okay. I just know a couple of people have been stung by online sellers before.

I wasted a ridiculous amount of money on buying things for my betta tanks. It become almost addictive changing their tanks around and adding a plant here or trialing a substrate there haha.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #138 
Sparrowhawk

Yepyep, it's from Melbourne, so no worries about customs. ^.^

It is SO addictive! Like, all the "just one more over here..." ALL OF THE DARN TIME! Haha. Even contemplating setting up a long, narrow tank on the windowsill just for plants. I'm absolutely loving dealing with aquatic plants. I always hated gardening, but apparently when it's under water I'm all for it, weird.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #139 
LittleBettaFish

I am hoping to convert one corner of my shelf into a jungle plant corner and have ferns and peace lilies growing emersed or in emersed style set-ups, maybe with some spanish moss draped somewhere. Then have a big planted tank as the main centrepiece.

I love having plants everywhere. I think this set-up is absolutely the most awesome thing ever.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ghlight=bamboo

I also think my cat may be of the same opinion haha.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #140 
Sparrowhawk

Oh wow. That's amazing!