Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #211 
Sparrowhawk

Hooooo boy yes it is! Tiring but terribly exciting! If I were sensible I'd have spread the activities out further, but silly me likes to completely immerse myself in something until it's done, so that's the way it went, haha! The easy bit (putting it all together) is today, and then I get to sit back and enjoy! Woo!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #212 
Sparrowhawk

So I've finally got to the stage where I can begin planting. Yay! Now I just have to sort all the plants, and dismantle the tank on the shelf so I can pinch its heater... That's going to be an interesting job. Perhaps I won't dismantle it just yet, and just steal the heater from it for now. Probably a better idea. All the plants in that one will be used as well.

I haven't actually planned anything out yet, except that I will have a carpet of Lilaeopsis macloviana (at least I'm 90% sure that's what it is, haha) and that there will be an abundance of awesome stems in the back. Oh, and Weehawk's tunnel will continue to exist in his home, haha. He loves that thing. Aside from that, I'm just going to play it by ear. I've found that things end up looking best when I just go with my gut feeling rather than meticulous planning, so that's exactly what I'm going to do, hehe.

But for now, it's smoke break time. I'm very tired and very sore from yesterday and this morning. It's going to feel so good when it's all done. It's going to feel even better when the tanks are matured, but for once, I'm going to have to have patience for that one, haha.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #213 
Sparrowhawk

I feel like I'm going to pass out if I have to be on my feet for one more minute. Two full days of constant work is finally over, and the boys will be in their new homes as soon as the water heats up in them. I reckon I'll start a tank journal as soon as I can rest for a while, heh.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #214 
AyalaCookiejar

So... Pictures tomorrow?? Lol :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #215 
Sparrowhawk

Hahaha yeah, definitely. I snapped a few today before flopping into bed, but definitely posting time tomorrow. :P
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #216 
Sparrowhawk

So... Everything's done, now I just need to monitor parameters and make appropriate water changes until the tanks mature. I'm currently sitting on my butt appreciating the results of all the hard work, hehe. I'm worried that some of the plants won't make it, as I've been advised by aokashi and Bombalurina that one kind is a high-light only plant. Not too fussed about needing to replace it, as it wasn't planned - the boyfriend got it when the store didn't have any wisteria left in stock and I'd sent him on a mission for more stems, and had asked for any fast-growers that'd do well in the light we bought from them a couple of days previously. Perhaps it'll go okay, maybe not. Either way, it'll be fine if I have to replace it.

One thing I'm currently puzzling over is the tank on the bookshelf, and Falkor. Falkor is in this awfully drab-looking 2gal tank with only a couple of skinny silk plants in it, bare-bottom with no light, only indirect sunlight. He hasn't bitten his tail since being put in there (touch wood) and has seemed ridiculously happy. Initially, the reason he was put in there was because he developed fin rot after a particularly nasty fin-biting session, but was kept in there after he was in the clear when it seemed his behaviour had changed for the better. My own preference would be for him to be put in the tank on the bookshelf, which now has just minimal plants and no filter in it after the NPT set-up, but I have a feeling he'd go at himself again. I just feel bad for him having such a drab-looking home, y'know? As much as he seems heaps happier, I still feel bad, and get criticism from people who see the huge difference between the tanks on the dresser, and his tank. I think perhaps I'll give him a go in the tank on the bookshelf, to see if he likes it in there now that it's more bare than it once was - he seems to prefer less decor - and if it doesn't work out I'll at least get a nicer looking 2gal tank for him, if he must have a tiny, bare home. Weirdo.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #217 
AyalaCookiejar

Well the fin biting is often caused by heavy finnage and I know that many long, heavy finned males actually do better in a smaller tank, so maybe that's what it is with little Falkor. I think we can assume that its easier for him to get around in a smaller space and less decor possibly makes it easier for him to get around, too? Like, so he doesn't have to go around a lot of stuff to get to where he is going? There's probably some other factors that cause his fin biting but I do think that his heavy fins are probably the main reason.

I honestly would not worry about what other people say. I mean, they might think you're crazy if you tell them that he has a smaller, less fancy tank because he prefers it, but even so, you know you aren't crazy. I wouldn't get worked up about how his tank looks if he is doing better and not tail biting. Actually, with all the trouble its caused, I think it might be better to leave it be.

But obviously you can change it if you want. If a smaller less decorated tank works better for him, then I'd see what you can do with that. I've seen some very nice small lightly decorated tanks, and I think his tank would be the special one because he's the special fish, lol.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #218 
Sparrowhawk

Hehe, he's definitely "special"! :P Loves him all the same. Yup, those heavy fins do make life difficult with a lot of stuff in the tank.

If he really prefers it I might just get a nicer-looking tank with the same capacity. Either a small cube or regular rectangular tank, rimless, with low iron glass. Yup, becoming a tank snob, all because this stuff is available for not too much money, haha. All I'd put in it would be the little skull with a twig with moss attached to it, which should be fine in just indirect sunlight, and would hide the heater a bit. XD
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #219 
AyalaCookiejar

I wish I had the money. My boyfriends mom has a dresser she would give me that would be perfect for a 20 gallon long and we tested it - it holds over 200 pounds. It also has large cabinets I could fit my buckets into. The problem is that the tank and accessories would still be roughly $150 and my parents don't want me to get another tank because I graduate in my and will be moving out in August. I can't say I'm particularly thrilled to take all of the tanks and fish I already have on a 1 hour car ride and re-set them up. I have a ford focus hatchback lol but it still won't fit a 20 gallon long plus my other 4 tanks and all my accessories. But I want a 20 long SOOOOOOO bad right now.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #220 
Sparrowhawk

Oh man, moving all those tanks would suck! But by the time you can get it you'll be able to do heaps more awesome stuff with it with all the knowledge you'll acquire in the meantime I guess? There's gotta be a positive somewhere, hehe.

I honestly don't understand how we managed to get enough money together to finance this new setup we've got. I think the fact that the boyfing has been working weekends, which pay more, contributes to it, but wow we've spent a lot. It's brought me a whole lot more joy than a few nights of clubbing would have, which is the equivalent cost, I guess, heh. To be honest, I've spent way more than I had to on fish stuff, because I've been learning as I go and upgrading when able, but it's been a joy doing it so I don't regret spending the money on "lesser" setups while I was learning up until this point. Obviously I'm still learning, but I've gone as big with tank sizes as I can, so the upgrades must stop, haha.

I'm also now able to give the old tanks to friends interested in using them. One friend loves fish but doesn't have the finances, so I'll be giving her one of the 4 gallon tanks, some gravel and possibly one of the tiny sponge filters I deemed too small for my purposes after they arrived (if she only keeps a betta it'll be fine, but I wanted shrimp too, hah, so needed more surface area for the bacteria to grow on) and another tank will be going to the brother of another friend. He's a problem kid and tends to get himself into a lot of trouble when his time isn't occupied, but he's got really into plants lately and I offered to teach him what little I know about aquascaping so he has another outlet for all his energy, and give him trimmings when my plants grow. ^.^

So I guess all the money spent isn't really going to waste. I figure, if I'm going to blow my money, may as well do something productive with it instead of drinking it all like so many others my age, haha.