Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #221 
Sparrowhawk

Non-fish-related Entry:

Today was the first day of my piercing training. And man, was it a long day! Learned so much, even on day one. It feels great finally doing what I'm "meant" to be doing, if that makes sense.

It also feels great to be home, staring at my darling little boys, haha!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #222 
Sparrowhawk

Hmm... I've been thinking a lot about stocking. More specifically, what I could put in my 7 gallon tanks.

I want RCS, that's for sure, in each tank. Preferably lots. I'd also like a snail in each tank. I wonder, since they're all so heavily planted it's difficult to see the substrate from the top (except in the middle one where the carpet in the front is more sparse due to me running out during planting) if they could support a betta, RCS and a mystery snail...

This is all a whole bunch of speculation for now, since the tanks are far from mature at this point, I'm just brainstorming so that when the time comes to add more things, I'll know exactly what I want. Today I'll be making my first water change on the NPTs. Been testing the water every day since setting them up, and I finally got an ammonia reading yesterday. It was barely up to 0.25ppm so I figured I could wait until today to do it... Feel kinda bad not doing it then and there, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

To be honest I was expecting an ammonia reading sooner, with the way people talk about the soil tanks having an overload of nutrients initially. Which was why I was testing the water religiously. Guess it's going to be once every 4 days until it calms down. Can't wait till the plants take off though, that's what I'm the most excited about. ^.^
Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #223 
Sparrowhawk

Hmph. Really over clothes shopping. Took me the better part of 2 hours to find a single plus-sized garment that I liked that meets the requirements for what I need to wear when piercing. They're not exactly hard requirements to meet, but to find anything nice in my size?! Here's what I need in a shirt:

* No exposed armpits, even when arms are lifted
* No extreme cleavage views when bending over a client
* Sleeves short enough so that they don't interfere with the use of gloves

THAT'S IT. And apparently that's just not okay in the world of affordable fashion. UGH. Finally managed to find a top that doesn't look like crap and meets those requirements, and is available in a size I won't have to squeeze into/peel off myself when I get home, and I'm going to have to wait until payday for it, and still wring my hands about spending the money.

I find it utterly ridiculous that more clothes aren't available in larger sizes for a better price. Grr.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #224 
AyalaCookiejar

Come to America lol. I have a naturally small body size (for real I eat all the time. I can't gain weight) and I wear extra small-small and I can almost never find my size. Everything is either too big or too short because I'm too tall.

But generally I see all types of clothes ranging from XXS-XXXL.

I've heard that America is the only country that's easy to find bigger sized clothes in. But you aren't that big. I've seen people that I was amazed they fit through the doorway and they could still find clothes 0.o
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #225 
Sparrowhawk

It'd be awesome if clothes were offered in that range of sizes here. I don't know why they aren't. If I got any bigger, I'd be restricted to a tiny range of places to shop, that don't have that great a selection. I have a giant badonkadonk, so I already am restricted when it comes to trousers, lol, but my torso generally fits into a L-XL, so I'm good most of the time if I'm going for sleeveless clothes. My arms are big though, so if I need something with sleeves it's a little more difficult, which is why I had this debacle this time. Generally I like to wear either sleeveless tops, or tops with really long sleeves, otherwise I'd already have the clothes I needed and wouldn't have to go on this quest, haha!

With the length thing, that's something that's got me peeved so often! I've got a friend who's really short, and she can never find anything in a good length for her without taking it up herself, and I can't find anything long enough for me, so if we both wore clothes as they are usually, we'd both look pretty silly. Every so often I manage to find a maxi dress that's long enough, but it's a rare thing, and I'm not even skinny! I tend to stick to men's trousers for this reason, at least they're long enough...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #226 
Sparrowhawk

Another non-fish entry:

I feel this has been a very, very long time coming, but I'm finally going to do it. Even if it gets me kicked off our League team, I don't care. I'm sick to death of hearing sexist and homophobic terms thrown around with not a single hoot given about what those words mean, or the opinions and attitudes they're reinforcing by using them so flippantly.

Every single bloody game, I hear some slur thrown. I'm sick of hearing the word "gay" used as an insult. I'm sick of any inherently female terms being used to describe something as weak or "less than" what is expected. These kids, and yes I say kids, as the maturity shown certainly isn't that of their age, by saying this stuff so often, are reinforcing stereotypes and fear of that which they mock.

Use as many expletives as you like if you're getting your butt kicked in-game, but do NOT put down the gender I was unfortunate enough to be born into, and do NOT perpetuate ridiculous homophobic attitudes. UGH.

So here's my plan: I'm just going to spam our team's Facebook group with links to anti-homophobia pages and feminist pages that highlight the impact of what they're doing by "harmlessly" using these terms day in, day out. It's going to keep popping up on their news feeds, in their notifications, and in the Skype call every single time they use those terms, until they get it into their thick skulls that the groups they're insulting have a great deal more balls, and brains, than they do if that's what they have to resort to to express their displeasure at the way a game is going.

Sorry, so angry, needed to get it out.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #227 
AyalaCookiejar

League is kind of like that. I admit I don't play video games hardly ever, but league has like one of the worst communities ever. Like 90% trolls. Its a shame because the game is fun when others don't ruin it for you. I guess that's why they created the ignore feature, but then all your teammates report you for not communicating. -_-

Also, I don't get the whole clothes thing. There are very few places I know of that sell pants in regular, short, and long, but I guess I have a strange body type because most of my jeans are too short, too loose around my waist and too tight around my thighs. I can fit into a size 00 skirt because I don't have leg holes to attempt to shove my thighs into but I can only fit into size 3 jeans. Anything smaller will not go up past my thighs. -_-
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #228 
Sparrowhawk

If it were a team of randoms, I could just say, yeah it's just LoL, it's the community etc. But these are people I actually know IRL. One of them is my partner's brother. So it's not just in-game where I hear this stuff, but it's where it's heard most often.

I have the same problem with pants, actually, only at a larger size. I just went to a size conversion site to convert from AU to US sizes, but according to that site... I have a size 10 waist, size 14 thighs and a size 12 bust. With long legs. So nothing fits right, hahaha. Which is why I was elated that my favourite plus size store here has different jeans for different shapes, I can actually get jeans that fit both my waist and thighs. XD
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #229 
AyalaCookiejar

That crappy LoL mentality is contagious. My boyfriend can get so mad playing it I have to pry his fingers one by one away from the keyboard and convince him to do something else. It doesn't help that his Internet connection sucks and he lags every time he is actually doing good in a game..

I wish I could order special jeans. Or extra long pants. A lot of times I will wear really huge pants because they are the only things long enough. Skirts and dresses are the only things that I can find that fit me but I hate wearing both. Come to think of it, I even have the same issue with bras. I'm not too big around the chest and they like don't make bras that are tight enough around my torso -_- you'd think the fashion industry would catch up but I'm pretty sure that like wedding dresses and celebrity clothing lines (the outrageously expensive crud) are the only things that are generally made to fit each individual person. Shirts are also generally too short on me. I should just learn to make my own clothes, lol.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #230 
Sparrowhawk

Mmm. I get mad if I'm playing solo queue. I don't know how people do it without smashing their PCs after a few encounters with the trolls. So if I'm playing alone, I just play custom bot matches. No people, no hassle, no worries, haha. It's my favourite way to play LoL. Though with custom games you can't change the difficulty of the bots, so it's too easy... Still better than trolls. XD

I just don't get why more companies don't offer a wider range of cuts. There are SO MANY people who don't fit the "standard" of what they're creating, surely they're shooting themselves in the foot business-wise if they don't offer stuff to fit people that don't fit the "norm"? I mean, they'd be sure to get a HEAP of return business, and make more sales...

OMG OMG OMG SARUMAN ARRIVED TODAY AND HE IS ADORABLE!! Okay, no more all caps. But it's super-exciting! My first experience receiving a pet in the mail... WOW. I'm a worrier so I stressed way more than I should've, which always happens with things that are new to me, but that's okay. Everything went smoothly, and all is well. Squee! He's currently acclimating. He gets the bookshelf tank until he's all settled in and ready for the bright lights of the NPTs.

I've left the old LED lights on the bookshelf tank, but they're not going to be turned on until later, and only dimly. So glad that light is dimmable, love it! Over the next few days I'll work him up to those lights full-force, and provided he's doing well, I'll transfer him over to the NPT that was intended for him, or move Weehawk over one tank so I can observe the new boy in the initial stages.

Speaking of that possibility... I've been thinking of moving Weehawk over for a little while. He used to be very friendly and personable, but lately he's developed a bad attitude. Stern fishy-mum might take away his tunnel until he's ready to behave himself. There's still plenty of plants and things to swim through in the middle tank, so he's not going to be deprived of much, haha.

I think perhaps the bad attitude has something to do with the fact that I haven't had as much time to spare lately, what with my course starting, re-doing the tanks, having more in the room and thus more to clean, more often... He hasn't got as much time with mum as he's used to. Unfortunately, that's just life, and he's going to have to learn to deal with the fact that I'm not always going to be here to play chase the finger with him.