Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #231 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol, I think DaBaDee and Weehawk are on the same page :p

I'm looking forward to seeing picturess!! Mailing live fish isn't that bad. I thought it was a horrible idea at first but now I've gotten 7 fish and live plants in the mail with a snail on the way :p they all dealt with shipping surprisingly well and none of them were really sickly. They actually all looked better than the fish I see in the pet stores! Probably because they get shipped to the pet stores, too, but are put in tiny cups right after when we have nice big warm places for them to stay, with room service! Lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #232 
Sparrowhawk

Once you give them all of the attentions, they'll never be happy without it! :P

Agreed about having fish shipped, now I've experienced it for myself. Saruman arrived much healthier than Feyd and Weehawk were when they were given to us. He's just a bit skittish and is hiding when we've been hanging around him too long, and I don't blame him.

He's so beautiful! My boyfriend was really happy when we got him today, all squee-faced and stuff. In his words, "I'm so glad I said, 'yeah, definitely buy him'!" Hahaha.

I think he's finding it very strange having 4 gallons to swim around in. At first, he just made a beeline for a hiding spot, as was expected. Now he's zipping around the place when he thinks no one's looking. He's definitely going to love it when he's transferred to the 7 gallon NPT. XD

I think I'm going to send the boyfee on a mission for snails and shrimp before Saruman gets transferred over to his permanent tank, so hopefully he won't see them as invading his territory. I wasn't going to add shrimp until the tanks had matured properly, but I'm not too keen on keeping him in the bookshelf tank for the next three months while the shelf above bows under the weight of the books (About half of them will be brought down onto the tank shelf when a smaller tank is put there).

We just got back from going on a mission for board games, as Saturday is International TableTop Day (only makes sense if you watch TableTop on YouTube, heh) and we're hoping to have a few people round to play games with us. Failing that, we'll just play our awesome new games on our own, haha. Or play the LotR tabletop RPG we got with le boyfee's brothers over Skype, that works too. XD

Such exciting things are happening! :D
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #233 
AyalaCookiejar

All of mine reacted a bit differently after shipping but all were healthy and warmed up fairly quick. He might just be shy in general. I remember when I first transferred Bahari to his 5 gallon and he flared at EVERYTHING! Lol. He definitely would have killed any shrimp or snails if I added any.

I think it works best if you put the shrimp/snails in before the fish, but hiding spots are the key. They'll probably know to stay out of Sarumans way :p but it doesn't sound like he's very aggressive.

I didn't know when I shipped my first fish that you're supposed to turn out the lights when unpacking them because sudden bright lights can shock them 0_0
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #234 
Sparrowhawk

He might be shy, I suppose we'll see. He did respond to our fingers a couple of times, but I'm not keen on pushing it on the first day. >.<

There's heaps of spots for shrimp to hide in all the NPTs. We've already got a couple of glass shrimp in Feyd and Weehawk's, and I hardly ever see them, once in a while they'll be on a leaf on a stem, and then they'll go back into hiding. And when the carpets grow in, there'll be long, dense grass for them to scuttle around in too. ^.^

I just turned the light on a teensy little bit in Saruman's tank, and he doesn't seem bothered, which is awesome. I might actually be able to get a shot of him soon, hehe. XD

We had a bit of a scare when unpacking him with the lights, heh. I'd brought the box to the darkest part of my room, then my grandma, all excited about the fish as well, comes along and turns on the big room light right when I'm about to open the box. My partner was all "NOOOOOOOO!! *slow-mo flail for light switch*" Hahaha. Once we explained to her that the lights needed to be off it was all good though, heh.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #235 
Sparrowhawk

Kinda in squee-mode. Saruman is settling in just fine, which is awesome. And I just had a look over at the NPTs, and the hygro is just taking off! Took it a week to really get going, but boy is it going now! I already had to trim the pink rotala a few days ago, and replanted the trimmings along the sides that connect to other tanks to provide more cover so they're even less likely to see each other through the frosted film I've got on the glass. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures before the first trimming for comparison. Silly, silly me! No doubt they'll shoot straight back up though, if I had to trim within 5 days of planting. SQUEEE!! :D Things are going well! This is new and exciting!!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #236 
Sparrowhawk

Just finished trimming the hygro and replanting. I think I need to learn to be more aggressive when trimming, and trim lower on the stems in future, judging by the rotala, which is already making a comeback. So now I have roughly double the rotala and hygro stems planted than I did last week, when I first set up the tanks. I'm absolutely loving the thick jungle look.

After a couple more trimmings though, I won't be able to replant the tops. Which is fine, because then I can take all the trimmings, some spare soil and sand/gravel and a tank to my friend's place and teach her brother what I know.

The fish seem to love having a really dense jungle of stems, especially Feyd. He likes to lurk and hide, then play peek-a-boo in the stems in his tank. It's adorable.

One thing that I will say about the NPTs and the plants in them, is that I'm still undecided about the red plants. They look pretty and all, and none of them seem to be melting, they're all growing, especially the pink rotala, but I must say that I do prefer an all-green scape. I will however just leave it for a while, because they do look nice. I guess I'm just biased because my favourite colour is green. Perhaps my opinion will change when the carpet fills in a little more.

My partner suggested that we get some DHG to fill in the carpet, rather than using the same plant the whole way through, but I'm wary of attempting a mixed carpet with so little experience in this stuff. I don't doubt that it would look interesting, I just worry that it won't turn out as well as I hope, y'know?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #237 
Sparrowhawk

Random fact: Saruman is way too adorable when he's flaring to be taken seriously. Then again, the rest of the boys are too. Except Feyd. Feyd has this Samuel L. Jackson (a la Pulp Fiction) vibe going on, so it's a little intimidating. At least, that's what I imagine his voice would be like if he had one. XD

But Saruman is just too adorable. XD
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #238 
Sparrowhawk

*sigh* Saruman still won't eat. I wasn't worried on day one or two, but I'm starting to worry, as I tend to do. Knowing how my life usually goes, he won't eat until I really start to panic then act like I'm an idiot and munch away. >.< But I'm trying not to worry too much about it, I know he'll be fine for a while if he keeps refusing soon, and when he gets really hungry he'll nom down. Bit of a snob though, refusing NLS, haha.

Also, I hate hosting things at my place. I'll get everything clean, but my grandma will insist on dusting EVERYTHING, like people are going to be inspecting every surface. I keep telling her it's not necessary to attempt to make our home look like a display house (ha ha, fat chance of that happening with all the clutter) but she won't listen. Also, she gets upset with me asking my partner to help with the cleaning, because he's a man and therefore doesn't have to do the woman's job. WTF. No, he made half this mess, he's going to clean half of it thank you very much!

Yesterday I spent the entire day doing water changes and tidying up the NPTs (poked the soil, relocated some of the microsword so that I'll be able to put a lawn of e. belem down the front of the tanks, as it's meant to be more newbie-friendly for carpeting or something) and four water changes later with a very sore back and arms, got into trouble for asking my partner to clean the lounge room in preparation for today, when all he was doing was gaming all day. Grrrrr.

My view is, you make the mess, you at least help clean it up. And if there's going to be heaps of guests, EVERYONE chips in to help with the cleaning. My grandma can take a hike if she thinks anyone gets off cleaning duty because they have an outie, not an innie. :P
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #239 
LittleBettaFish

If he won't eat pellets and you start to get worried, try live blackworms. Subscape and Coburg Aquarium both stock them and even the fussiest fish cannot usually resist.

I think Jodi-Lea feeds her bettas blackworms, or at least the wilds as a couple of mine have arrived with blackworms in their shipping bags haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #240 
Sparrowhawk

Okays, I'll look into getting some blackworms if he keeps this up. Cheers for the info. I love that Subscape is only a short tram ride away, makes life so much easier!