Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #241 
LittleBettaFish

It's a 40 odd minute train ride I think for me, plus the bus I have to take to actually get to the train station if I don't feel up for the 2km walk.

All the good fish stores are so far from me haha. It sucks.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #242 
Sparrowhawk

Oh dear...

Um, trying to think of a bright side... Oh! You can't drain your bank account to hopelessness the way I do 'cause it's too much of a hike unless you really need something? Eep!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #243 
Sparrowhawk

Today I feel so bleh. Last night we held a thing at our place for International TableTop Day, and had five people over for it. My lounge room is not made for seven people to fit into it, but somehow we managed, and also managed to not trash the place. I attribute this lack of trashing to only providing chips and other dry junk foods and soft drink, with dinner being pizza we ordered. Usually large gatherings mean nightmare cleanups the day after. I think the lack of mess also had something to do with only inviting polite and courteous people. Hooray for taking out the trash friends-wise! Yep, I'm not with it today. And I have to study, blerrrghhh...

I think I might just zone out and watch the fish for a while. Might help me get my brain back. >.<
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #244 
Sparrowhawk

I'm still very excited about the NPTs, even though I've been at home most of the time since they were set up and able to look at them all day. Haven't got sick of them, haha. Even with the water changes needed in the initial stages, still not sick of it, heh. I definitely won't be complaining when I can decrease water changes without sacrificing water quality though. Hopefully it won't be too long (like, more than a month or so) until I can go back down to once a week, as the intense WC schedule is doing my head in since life hit me like a truck, heh. The plants are really taking off though, and I'm getting some hairgrass (not normal hairgrass, e. belem) that will be planted during the next water change which is exciting. So many plants!! XD

Going to start a shrimp-only tank as well once life settles down, using plants propagated in the NPTs. Found a source for a cheap enough T5 light in the length needed for the tank I want, which is awesome. Since getting these NPTs set up I've developed a certain snobbishness regarding tanks and lights, since it's worked out so well, and stuff is available for an affordable enough price if I am willing to travel.

Just pretty excited about things in general.

I should have studied more than I did today... I feel like my brain is melting, and that I have no chance at learning all 30 steps to a piercing. I can remember with no problems what to do once setup commences all the way through to after the piercing and explaining aftercare to the client, I'm just stuck on the first few steps. Which is a lot better than nothing I guess, but I'd really like to get all 30 steps down before next class. Then I will have a whole fortnight to study ONLY the piercing-specific things I need to learn before the first practical day. I'd rather have EVERYTHING I need to know in my head well before the time I go near someone with a needle. I realise not everyone is this anal-retentive, but my objective with this was to provide the best, cleanest body mods possible, and being slack in learning my stuff isn't a part of that.

Being a perfectionist gets good results, but bloody hell it's annoying and stressful, haha.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #245 
Sparrowhawk

Sigh. My life has gone from nothing to EVERYTHING in what feels like two seconds flat. Course, chores, tank maintenance... All piling up. Got an algae problem in the NPTs. Looks like it's mostly just green dust algae, which is annoying but doesn't scare me to death. Doing big water changes today (amidst the million other things that need to be done...) and then shortening the PP to hopefully combat this business. Blahhhh...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #246 
Sparrowhawk

Sigh, haven't been on here as much as usual 'cause I've been so busy.

After removing the sponge filters from the NPTs because of the ungodly noise coming from the air pump (it used to be manageable, I have no idea what happened to make it unbearable) I decided I definitely still wanted filtration. I know it's not really necessary in NPTs, but I would like my tanks to be able to handle a higher bioload so I can add more buddies, and I've developed this love of otos, which I've heard need a current. Weehawk and Feyd seem to have no issues with currents and Saruman is a plakat so he should also have no issues, so I'm keen. Ordered a Marina Slim S10 for each tank last night. They're rated for up to 60L, which is over double the capacity of my tanks, so I'm hoping they'll be good. I'll be cycling them in one of my spare tanks using ammonia, then once they're done cycling I'll move 'em to the NPTs.

I have awful luck with shrimp, and I'm just not going to try anymore. I love them to bits and am not going to put any more through whatever it is in my water that's causing them to drop like flies. I'm just done. It breaks my heart every time there's a death. Found one of the ghosties that were doing fantastically... dead. So I'm done with shrimp. All parameters were perfect, I just don't understand it. I don't have a way of testing TDS, I think that may have been the issue since I can't find any others. But yeah... No more shrimp for me. Perhaps snails, but no shrimp.

I'm really disappointed because I wanted a shrimp-only tank, but I'm not going to risk the lives of any more of the cute little things.

The boys are chuggin' along. Falkor's fins are almost completely grown back with no new nips. I'm crossing my fingers that I've finally found the solution, and all he needs is a small, bare tank. Once I manage to get Saruman onto pellets (he still refuses anything that isn't moving) I'll move him over to the NPT since I'm not getting any more shrimp, and start organising things for a more permanent arrangement.

Aside from being really upset about being an accidental shrimp killer, things are going well in my life. I'm doing well in my course, finances aren't too bad, can't complain about a whole lot except my stupid body and my stupid brain. But life in general is good!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #247 
AyalaCookiejar

Poor shrimpies :( I still don't think my Nerite likes my parameters for some reason but she is still alive and moving around, right by the water surface.

Glad everything else is going good and yay for Falkor! I hope he doesn't turn around and decide his tail is too heavy, again!!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #248 
Sparrowhawk

I hope your snail keeps on doing okay!

I've lost track of how long it's been since Falkor nibbled himself, which is awesome, hehe.

I just wonder what I'm going to do about the lids of the tanks when the filters are cycled and ready to be put in... I may end up having to get a big, long piece of plexiglass to cover all three, since I don't know where or how I'd get the existing cover glass for each tank cut to accommodate a HOB. I have seen plenty of people do fine with no lids, especially when the waterline is lowered, so that may be an option too (the water is already 2" below the top of the tanks, perhaps that'll do since there's never been a jumping incident with Feyd, and Weehawk has calmed right down in the last month or two). I'd still rather have a lid to avoid any possible mishaps though...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #249 
AyalaCookiejar

A lid is probably a good idea to keep on there, lol.

I actually don't use HOBs. I mean, there's one in my brothers tank but the rest of mine are internal filters which aren't the best but I think they do OK especially when you take out the cartridges and shove them full of filter foam or sponge. The nice thing about those is that the hook that attaches them to the back of the tank can be removed and you can just use the suction cups so that all you really need is a space in the hood for a cord.

Two of mine make a very soft vibrating noise, the one in my sorority tank can't be heard at all, and the one in the four gallon only makes noise when the outflow is above the water line (its a weird fully submersible one). But since the BB grows best with gas exchange at the surface, I am probably going to pull it up over the water line and cover the outflow with filter foam/sponge. I think it causes a bit too much water movement, anyways.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #250 
Sparrowhawk

That's great that the internal filters are doing a good job. XD I do like how quiet most internal filters are, and was considering the Eheim corner one designed for nano tanks, but unfortunately couldn't make it work with the way my tanks are arranged (no place for the hook in the middle tank due to both sides of it being right up against the outer tanks, thus no corner available).

Only reason I chose HOB was because of recommendations on the planted tank forum, really. Most people on there swear by HOBs rather than internal filters. Also in a nano tank, real estate inside the tank is of great value when you want to keep it really heavily planted, hehe. So once I found one with great reviews for being silent, the choice was made, lol.

After my previous post I had a look-see online and discovered it shouldn't be too hard to just get a place that cuts glass to take a small portion of my existing cover glass out to accommodate the HOB. I'd just use cling wrap with holes poked in the meantime while I got that done, and all will be well! YAY!