Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #51 
Sparrowhawk

Haha, Weehawk is the same with red! He just can't handle it.

Yeah, Falkor was the same with being fussy, tried about 7 different pictures, a background that came with a tank (both sides of it, different images), some plain paper of different colours, patterned paper, and finally fabric, which I'm going to stick with and he seems to be getting used to... If it wasn't necessary I'd have just left it, but having a storage area for a background = uuuuuugleh.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #52 
Sparrowhawk

Oh my god... I could scream right now. Falkor's bitten his tail again. It's taken him an entire month to grow it back to almost normality, and when it was finally looking nice again, he's chomped it right off. I've done every bloody thing in the book to try and get him to stop, and entertain him, de-stress him, but it seems he wants to have a shorter tail and nothing will stop him. I did think of blaming myself about the background issue, but I do think if that was what caused it he'd have trimmed it right down during the search for an appropriate pattern, because that saga had an awful lot of trial and error involved. I'm just going to go have a cigarette and breathe and try and calm down now...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #53 
AyalaCookiejar

He might just get territorial with new things around the tank. My CT flared at anything and everything when I first got him in his new tank. He's my aggressive male, lol. I guess I don't have to worry now about the background or anything since he's gone blind, but I really miss him flaring at everything :( its part of their personality and being able to see has a lot to do with it obviously, haha.
My VT is pretty laid back. He flares at my CT when I move the cardboard from between the tanks and he used to flare at his reflection in his old tank when the light was on, so I left it off most of the time and used the room lights instead. He never flares at anything else. My girls also flare at each other occasionally and my red dragon, Okami, tries to attack the light I use when trying to take pictures as well as the camera.

Btw, I love the Velcro idea! I think I will use it to cover the tanks at night because my boyfriend always stays up with the lights on long after my fish have gone to sleep, but I don't want to cover the top of the tanks because they get warmer that way, and I don't want all those temp fluctuations.

Also, I saw some decorative fishing net at Michaels a few weeks ago and thought it would make a neat background! :) wish I would have bought it when I was there because its an hour away (its also across the street from my dads favorite store - Scheels - lol. So I go there and look around when my dad goes to Scheels)

Edit: oh, no! Silly Falkor :/ I know Syriven had a chronic tail biter (that she loved so much even though he was a PITA). He's probably decided his tail is too heavy for him and he wants to be a Plakat, lol. I know its stressful but there isn't a whole lot you can do besides keep the water extra clean to prevent infection :/ what a booger! Also, I think its quite normal for tail biters to let their tails grow out almost completely then chew them off again. Every Single Time. What a naughty boy, haha (I know its not funny but I always think that the flarers and tail biters are cute because they've got so much personality and enjoy being a pain). Hmm... What have you been doing to help his tail?

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 01-20-2013 at 09:51 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #54 
Sparrowhawk

Yeah, I think he's just being a sook rather than being really distressed about the background - he's not upset at it all the time, but after the tail-biting I took it down anyway.

I've upgraded his tank to double what he had before, changed decor, added some, removed some, moved it around occasionally, moved his tank so there was more traffic around him (he seems to love the attention since I did that) left everything alone for a while in case moving stuff stressed him, decreased the light he got, had the light off entirely, nothing was different in his behaviour no matter what I did... I think he's just a biter and there's nothing I can do about it, it still feels pretty bad though...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #55 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, he sounds like a chronic tail biter. I can tell by the way he's always the one causing issues :p Syriven was my very first friend on here and her little Phy was a chronic tail biter and he had the most personality and always gave her the most grief. (Its funny how you get attached to the members and their fish on this site. I remember DragonFish was the very first person to help me out with the first thread I posted when I joined.) off topic...

Anyways, I was more thinking along the lines of helping him heal. Do you add stress coat or anything?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #56 
Sparrowhawk

Hehe, yeah, I've only been on here a short while and I feel the same way. XD

Yup, since the biting started, I've added API Stress Coat+ with every water change to help him heal. I've got a big bottle of SeaChem's equivalent coming in the mail since I'm running out of the stuff, assuming it'll do the same job. Eeeeep!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #57 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol, we both joined last November and I have over 1000 posts already. I must have no life, haha.

Have you ever thought about Indian Almond Leaves? The stress coat would promote healing and the IAL acts as a preventative to keep away infections while they heal. It's not super easy to get but I am thinking about getting some for my sorority... As there will likely be some fin nipping and one sick girl usually equals sick everyone in the tank :/
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #58 
Sparrowhawk

Oh yeah! Forgot to say that everyone gets IAL in their tanks. Completely forgot to say that. The shop I got Falkor from sells them and recommended them when I got him, so I bought a bunch. They actually know their stuff about bettas (and have so much amazing aquascaping stuff, but that's off-topic) so it's good.

Haha, I have no life, I'm always on here, just don't talk much 'cause I'm afraid of sounding like a doofus. XP
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #59 
AyalaCookiejar

I wish I could find a place around here that sells IAL. As far as I know the only place I can get it is like, online from AquaBid or Amazon. >:/ And I get off topic often, lol.

I've read soo many threads and learned so much from this forum in the couple months that I've been here that I actually reply to new members questions quite often, and now that I have a blind betta and I've dealt with internal parasites, I have a lot of personal experience I can put into answering some questions and concerns. It's really fun, because I remember the first person who helped me when I first joined and I remember my first friend on the site, and now I am the person helping new members when they first join and becoming their very first friend on here and stuff. It's pretty neat, because I never really thought about it until I had a member message me and tell me how much I helped them and ask if they could add me to their friends list, haha (I've actually had a couple of those, now). I also remember thinking how much of a nuisance I must have been to some members when I first joined because I had so many questions, but I really don't find all the new members abundance of questions annoying at all (and pretty much everyone thinks they are being annoying when they have a lot of questions, I've noticed). There I go, being off-topic again, ha.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #60 
Sparrowhawk

I don't really feel qualified to reply to much, as I haven't dealt with infections yet, only fairly easy stuff.

Though I have had a bit of a heart attack just now. I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things or if the other two boys are missing bits of their fins. Water is crystal clear, just did a 100% change yesterday, and I test the water most days because I'm paranoid like that... Water quality is far from poor, and their is zero discolouration on their fins, so it can't be fin rot... If I'm just seeing things because of Falkor, which I hope I am, I shan't mention this again... But I cannot fathom how on earth I could have three mutilating themselves.