Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #81 
Sparrowhawk

Sigh... Poor little Falkor obviously isn't happy in his little tank, it's a bit bare. Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep it like that until I can get a hidey-hole without live plants on it for him (this weekend should be able to, a shop down the road has the nifty little tunnels I've got in Feyd and Weehawk's tanks for $5, it's awesome) so he's going to have to wait a day or two... He seems to be occupying himself fairly well though, that bubble nest he's been busily building for the last couple of days is covering about half the water surface!

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the last couple of items for the tank overhaul. The sponge filters and the valve thingies for them are the last things that need to show up before I can begin working on the tanks. Boy, that's going to be a big job!

Going to have to wait until the second weekend in February, as it's the Red Dwarf/Trekkie convention weekend next week. Hopefully the organisers have actually seen my email about wanting to pay cash for our tickets. We haven't got a response yet, and I emailed them last week... I'm just hoping they haven't re-allocated our tickets to someone else. That would suck royally. I have paid in cash on the day before for a different OzTrek weekend of theirs, so it should be fine... Key word: should. They might not recognise me this time, I'm not dressing in my full Borg costume again, haha. It'll be nice having depth perception for once - the other two Star Trek conventions I went to, I had a black lycra catsuit with PVC accents and computer parts I'd spray-painted black sewn on, an eyepiece made of computer parts that covered that eye, a corset, six-inch platform boots and a white contact lens that obscured most of my vision along with tonnes of makeup. Pretty awesome Seven of Nine (full Borg era, not big-chested w/Starfleet uniform, haha) outfit for a homemade effort, if I do say so myself, haha. I was perpetually afraid of falling over the whole time I was in that gear, haha. It'll be nice to be comfy for once, even if that outfit did earn me a hug from Brent Spiner. (still totally SQUEEEEE about that... >.<)

Gah! So excited after that convention blabber I just had. ALL OF THE EXCITEMENT!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #82 
Sparrowhawk

...I just realised that with Falkor's hospital tank and the other tank with driftwood soaking in it, I've got 5 full tanks in my room... If I didn't have live plants and the need for lights for each of them, I could really have 5 fish. As it is, I adore my plants as well as my fish, so the 4 it'll end up being will have to do, as I don't have enough power outlets for lights and heat for 5. I don't even have lights going in Falkor's tank, and the outlets are full with heaters for 4 and lights for 3. And with the modem, home phone, mobile charger, laptop, fan and god knows what else plugged in (this is just my bedroom we're talkin') I think my room is enough of a fire hazard without adding more! Wow... It's really pretty bad when I think about it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #83 
AyalaCookiejar

Ha, I have I think 3 extension cords hooked up to my tanks. I have a light timer with two outlets, an extension cord in one that has two tank lights hooked up to it, and the other outlet has a thing that makes that one outlet into three, with two tank lights hooked up... That's on an power cord that is connected to an outlet in the wall and one of the filters is plugged into that... Then another outlet on the ceiling that has another filter hooked up to it and the overhead light on the ceiling, and the power cord has the heaters and the TV connected to it... The other two tanks connected to the light timer by an extension cord aren't near an outlet so the filters and heaters are connected to two extension cords that are connected to another extension cord that the space heater is also plugged into, LOL. I'm not sure how safe that is, but the heaters and lights are low wattage and I think there is a super high wattage capacity on the power cord and also the light timer... It seems like a whole bunch of cords but I don't think it exceeds the capacity.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #84 
Sparrowhawk

As long as you're only running several things from each outlet thingie you should be fine... All the power in my room comes from the one outlet, with power boards connected to one another. All have surge protectors, so theoretically it should be okay and they'll just switch themselves off if things get too much, but it's worrying nonetheless...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #85 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, if I ever get rich and build my own fish room (harhar) remind me to get a bajillion outlets in it. I have technically three things for each tank (lights, heater, and filter) and everything is hooked up to three different outlets, but I also have the TV, room lights, computer, PS3, all the other junk that goes with them, and a space heater plugged in. The room is also huge, so really, the computer, TV and tanks are well spread out but the outlets aren't. My sorority tank and backup tank are like ten feet away from either outlet so I wouldn't have any way to run them without a million extension cords.

And btw I really hate the outlet on the ceiling, lol. The cords hanging down are such a nuisance... Not sure who's bright idea it was to put it there.

Edit: I also can't judge distance worth crap so those two tanks might even be more like 20 feet away from the outlets LOL.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #86 
Sparrowhawk

That'd be really odd, having an outlet on the ceiling...

Hehe, yeah, my partner and I have discussed how when we do some renovating at my place, more outlets will be installed in most rooms. He's even conceded that we're going to need a bunch more than planned because it's unlikely I'll stop with "the fish thing", haha. (He reckons I don't notice him going all gooey over the boys when I'm paying attention to something else, LOL!)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #87 
Sparrowhawk

I've been going nuts with eBay recently! Sponge filters, some clothes for myself, some floating plants (the site I usually get my plants from didn't have what I was looking for, so I figured I'd go ahead and buy from eBay and just QT for longer than usual) and in the last couple of days I decided to purchase one of those "cycle boosters". I'm aware it won't speed up the cycle at all, but anything that can make the process easier on the two fish that will still be in their tanks during cycling can't hurt. It may end up being a waste of money, but I'd rather waste the money than not give something a go if it could possibly benefit my little buddies.

I also bought a product called CO2 Booster, so hopefully with that and the Flourish I already add to the tanks during water changes my plants can do extra-well. I don't have the money for fancy CO2 injection systems for all three planted tanks, so if there's a liquid product I can just add daily, that's fantastic. I imagine that once that arrives, and I finally get my hands on those spiffy LED lights that actually have the correct spectrum for plants, my tanks will look awesome and everyone will be happy - me, fishies, plants, everyone! Hahaha.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #88 
Sparrowhawk

GAH! I WANT THIS FISH!

But I was going to cycle the free tank... What to do?! Do I just get him, and do a fish-in cycle? Do I pass up the opportunity for such an unusual beauty? HAAAAAALP!! (Pondering posting this to another thread to get answers, because it's a bit of a dilemma! Heh)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #89 
AyalaCookiejar

LOL well I already replied to the other thread but I probably wasn't much help :p

I'd weigh the pros and cons... Cons being the tank isn't cycled yet and a fish-in cycled could be stressful on him and it would require a lot more work... But if he is exactly what you are looking for and you don't think you will find one later that you will like even better than why not? hahaha.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #90 
Sparrowhawk

Yeah, I don't particularly like the idea of stressing him, especially after the ordeal of shipping... On the other hand, it's not often I see a fish and the little guy "speaks to me". Y'know what I mean, right? Hehe. Sure, I go ooh pretty, I'd like to have that one, but the only other fish that's done that "speaks to me" thing was Falkor.