Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #1 
labloverl

how long can I go without chaning the water?

I have a 10 gallon with 3 males, a 5 gallon with 1 male, and a 3.5 gallon with one male. Yesterday was the day I do their weekly change/cleaning. We're supposed to have some winter weather and I want to change the water before the lights go out but I don't have much time today so I'm wondering if I can get by with just changing the 3 gallon today and the others when I have more time.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #2 
callistra

Not a good idea. You can probably get away with a day or two but maybe not and make it a habit and you will develop a problem for sure. If you feel you can't change their water buy a drops test kit for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia should be 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate well below 20 ppm and if you just really can't do it a day shouldn't hurt.. Then again by the time you do all this testing you could have just gotten the water changes done
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 
isochronism

Make a deal with your fish that you won't change your underwear until AFTER you change their water.... :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Are the larger tanks filtered and cycled? If so and if you just did your weekly partials yesterday, they should be fine for another week as usual.....is the three gallon filtered/cycled? How long are you expecting to have to wait to preform water changes again?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #5 
labloverl

They're all cycled, and I did not do their weekly change yesterday.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Ahhh, gottcha. Wasn't exactly entirely clear on what you were saying....I probably need a little more tea. xD;

Anyway, if you haven't changed any of them in over a week, then I agree with Callistra. You can go a couple extra days on the larger tanks, but any more then that would be stretching it.
Try and see if you can take an extra few minutes to do your other tanks today as well, though your three gallon would be a priority since it is so small and needs twice weekly partial changes anyway. If you really can't manage to get to them at all today try for early tomorrow if you can, definitely keep a close eye on your levels and maybe add a few extra drops of Prime.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #7 
labloverl

Well, I did the water changes for all of the tanks and added some new plant decor.... and then the power went out. :)
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 
isochronism

Now you can change your underwear... I hope you don't put it on backwards with no lights on :) HA
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Awesome! xD Perfect timing.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #10 
labloverl

Lol!