Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Marineland Pillar Setup

My fiance got me a new tank for Christmas so I can upgrade my female from her bowl. Yay! I got the 6 gallon Marineland pillar, I've set it up as best I can, but it seems like the filter intake is just a half inch from the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have this tank? Will it be okay if gravel covers the bottom of the intake? You will see what I mean if my picture uploads correctly...
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 
callistra

Gravel should not cover the intank. It's good to have a long tube but it should be at least a couple inches from the bottom.. Couldn't tell you if that's a design flaw or if something else is wrong.

Does that tank have holes in the lid?

Far as I've read unless they've changed things the filter is also wired together with the lights but you can split them up if you know what you're doing.. You girl will need lights out at night but you shouldn't turn the filter off

I also understand the flow is very stron and there is a lot if surface aggitation. The intake tube should probably be pre filtered and your girl may be happier if you cut a piece of filter sponge and put it under the cover below the bio wheel to baffle it

Good luck!

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #3 
Fin Fancier

I'll try putting the filter back together again, the gravel would only cover a portion of the intake its hard to see, but the slots go up to the circular part. If it comes down to it I could just dig a hole in the gravel and hide that spot with silk plants.
There is a gap at the back of the lid where the filter enters the tank, that will let air in, the rest has a plastic cover. I do have an air pump, so I could add a bubbler.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 
callistra

Bettas are surface breathers. An air pump wouldn't help. Make sure to leave air space at the top for her to breathe and not fill it all the way
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 
callistra

I found another Q and A by another buyer and the manufacturer. Apparently an extender is included. You should remove it. If it still reaches the gravel the staff has suggested you call them for help.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

I will leave some room at the top. I know they can breathe air, I guess I just always assumed they could pick up some oxygen from the water as well, guess not.
I'll look into getting a sponge for the intake and go from there. The filter seems to have some flow control so I'll see what its like on the lowest setting.
It does look like the lights and filter are wired together... that is problematic. We'll see what google can bring up for that one.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 
callistra

We seem to have posted about the same time. Did you see about removing the extender from the intake tube?

This person may be helpful with the wiring: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=179241 They got it all separated.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
Fin Fancier

Thanks for the link callistra. :)
I fiddled with it again, and did some tightening, it looks like I have a good inch and a half now, so the intake will be fine.