Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Baby Betta + foreign object through body

So, oddest predicament I came home to. This fella, I noticed had something in his mouth. I fed everyone in the tank, and he dashed up in a distressing manner, then stayed at the surface where I saw his faceplate extended and something sticking out. Taking a closer look I realized it was a piece of java moss that has gone from his mouth and through his gill.

My question is, what can be done? This fella is being jarred due to his problem, he is a little panicked, and seems uncomfortable as he keeps trying to dislodge it from his gill No bloating, no pineconing, no clamped fins, completely fine other than this shouldn't have eaten that predicament.

So, what now? It looks uncomfortable, but I am not sure if I would damage anything by removing it (putting him under with clove oil and using fine tipped tweezers).

Who knew moss was dangerous?
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Wow! I don't imagine anything would be damaged, Its better to try than leave it there, looks like he isn't going to get it out himself. Goodluck hopefully someone else can comment better!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
MSG

Shouldn't have to sedate the little cutie for that.

Just tempt him with his favorite pellet food and then yank out the moss with a pair of tweezers.

Someone on this forum had a similar problem with their betta & a java fern root stuck in it's mouth/gill area.

I told them tweezers, they listened & problem solved.

Also the strand of moss does any damage to it's gills, it's a baby & they recover really fast. You should be well aware of their healing capabilities with all the little bettas you've raised..
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #4 
Mo

I would definitely try to remove that with tweezers. I've had a wild guppy eat a hair before, lol. I removed it with some tweezers.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I have had issues with foreign bodies of various things and in various locations on the body...Some had good outcomes and other didn't....On a few, the cure killed them.....With some items-especially organic-the enzymes from the fish will dissolve it fairly fast-even metal objects will dissolve with enough time.

Sometimes it can be better/safer to leave the foreign object-unless the fish is stressed or impedes normal function long term-like eating, breathing, swimming.....You might be able to remove the plant material, however, you gotta be careful and not damage the gills-otherwise, as you already know....removal of too much of the gill can kill the Betta. If you can see the plant in the gill area-that is the point that I would try to remove it using tweezers-by pulling through the mouth you could risk damage to the gills due to the direction of the gills IMO/E.
Once removed I would do 2-3 days of Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannin in a covered QT with high humidity over the water as a precaution.

The way I did it for one of mine-I used a spoon with a small amount of water with a wet paper towel over its body to hold the fish down-leaving the gill/mouth area exposed-then using tweezers I grasp the plant to remove.

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have had issues with foreign bodies of various things and in various locations on the body...Some had good outcomes and other didn't....On a few, the cure killed them.....With some items-especially organic-the enzymes from the fish will dissolve it fairly fast-even metal objects will dissolve with enough time.

Sometimes it can be better/safer to leave the foreign object-unless the fish is stressed or impedes normal function long term-like eating, breathing, swimming.....You might be able to remove the plant material, however, you gotta be careful and not damage the gills-otherwise, as you already know....removal of too much of the gill can kill the Betta. If you can see the plant in the gill area-that is the point that I would try to remove it using tweezers-by pulling through the mouth you could risk damage to the gills due to the direction of the gills IMO/E.
Once removed I would do 2-3 days of Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannin in a covered QT with high humidity over the water as a precaution.

The way I did it for one of mine-I used a spoon with a small amount of water with a wet paper towel over its body to hold the fish down-leaving the gill/mouth area exposed-then using tweezers I grasp the plant to remove.

Good luck....
Good to know...One time my betta swallowed a hair and it was sticking out of his mouth. I just took him out and removed it very carefully with my fingers. He ended up jumping out of my hand and probably hurt himself pretty bad from the fall...

Now I realize I probably should have just let him and that hair be....It just looked like it might have been annoying him...But I suppose it's better to be temporarily annoyed than dead lol...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #7 
isochronism

I would first examine better with a magnifying glass. If it is in the mouth and exiting a gill, determine which is the the best direction out. Probably the reverse of how it went in. It will be causing him much more stress remaining there. I was a watchmaker for many years and worked with a loupe and tweezers. Net him, lay him on his other side , maybe someone hold a magnifying glass for you, gently remove. Good luck!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 
bryanacute

Re-moving with tweezers is the best bet. Like isochronism said, examine with a magnifying glass. Think of how to get it out the least painful way.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #9 
amyteee

Pull it through the gill with tweezers if you need to remove it. No need to sedate him. Just make sure you pull it from the gill side and not back through his mouth :) He will be better off and any damage will quickly heal! :D
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #10 
isochronism

remove it out toward bottom of stem direction. Amytee made a good point. If he sucked in in stem first so plant growth is upward out his mouth, out the gill is best. Merry Christmas. We are with you :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote