Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Mirage23

What is my Betta doing?

I have two male bettas in a 10 gallon tank separated by a divider. Today I caught them flaring at each other through the divider and then they'd show each other the side of their body. Fins spread out and lookin huge. They'd wave their bodies and then blow a bubble at the surface. One would watch the other blow a bubble and when it was done it was his turn to blow a bubble. Then they'd start over. Eventually they both quit. But that was such an interesting sight! What were they doing? Dancing at each other? Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Mirage23; 12-25-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
I have two male bettas in a 10 gallon tank separated by a divider. Today I caught them flaring at each other through the divider and then they'd show each other the side of their body. Fins spread out and lookin huge. They'd wave their bodies and then blow a bubble at the surface. One would watch the other blow a bubble and when it was done it was his turn to blow a bubble. Then they'd start over. Eventually they both quit. But that was such an interesting sight! What were they doing? Dancing at each other? Anyone else experienced this?
That is a very common male display. They are trying to look all tough and say, "Hey! Git of my turf!"

It's perfectly normal. But if it becomes constant you may want to make it so they can't see each other. Too much flaring can become stressful on them...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
bryanacute

They are showing off their fins to each other when they turn sideways. When they wiggle, they are trying to appear larger, When they blow bubbles, they are saying, "Hey! My nests are better than yours!!" Nothing to worry about.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 
Mirage23

Thanks! Hopefully they don't stress each other out. I haven't seen them fight before. Mild flaring here and there but nothing I'd say was constant or serious.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #5 
bryanacute

They will get used to each other. Just give them a bit of time.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #6 
callistra

I agree with finnfinn. Try to put plants and things up next to the divider so they can't see each other. Is the divider clear? You may need an opaque one (of course there must be some holes) to try to reduce visual as well.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

this is pretty normal, and is in fact part of "humane" betta fighting where the fish are separated and money is placed on which one will back down first, rather than letting them actually fight and kill each other.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #8 
Mirage23

That's weird. But I guess it's better than them harming each other. I'm sure it stresses them out like crazy tho. I will probably buy plants tomorrow with Christmas money mwahahahaha!