Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 
jsat

Heater / Food suggestions needed

Hello all.

I'm looking for suggestions for a quality heater for my 15 gallon column sorority tank... Preferably available on Amazon, as I have some gift cards to use, but other places work as well.

I'm also looking to pick up some higher quality foods. I currently use Hikari Betta Pellets, Omega One Betta Buffet, and Tetra Bettamin Tropical Medley,
and of course thawed bloodworms.

I know I'm probably gonna get some new life spectrum, but I'd love some input on other things to add in the diet.

Edit: I also now kinda have the urge to pick up a new filter. >.> My current one came with the tank, it's an Aqueon Quietflow 10-15, not sure exactly which.. I think I saw AquaClear 20's at petsmart for like 15 bucks the other day, do you guys think I would get much benefit by upgrading? This tank houses currently 5 female betta's, 4-5 Amano's, and 1 Nerite snail, and a variety of floating live plants

Last edited by jsat; 12-25-2012 at 05:20 PM.
jsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Your tank does not sound like it needs a filter upgrade, though it depends what you want anyways :)

As for heaters I prefer Ebo Jager, or Topfin, as I have found they are more hardy. I like ones you can actually submerge, and are shatter proof.

If you can possibly find them in your area, try getting live foods for them. I feed my beardie mealworms, therefore my fish also get them. They just get the meat however, since the shell can become lodged (it cannot be broken down in their bellies)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I like Hydor THEO heaters, they're adjustable, shatterproof, and good looking. They stay small in any wattage, and I have 2. I don't recommend Top Fin heaters, a member here had a liquid oozing out of it. 0.o The tank went down afterwards. I've heard good things about Jager, though.

AC filters are really nice, I have an AC30 for my 20G sorority. It has a 3 step filter; carbon, sponge, and bio bags. It's adjustable, too. But if your tank is cycled, I don't think you would need another filter. Your tank is also quite understocked IMO, you could add 1-2 more females if you wish. :)

As for food, you would want high protein and low filler staple foods, and some treats for variety. Hikari pellets for bettas have changed their ingredients and now it's full of cheap fillers. You would really want to discard that, but you could use it as a soak food for feeding fish with internal parasites, though.

As Sena said, you seem to have some good supplies. Live foods would be good, too. It's up to you.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 
aemaki09

as the others have said, I really dont think you need any upgrades either. Aquaclear is a good filter brand though, I just ordered one for my sorority tank on amazon because of all the recommendations people here make for it.
A good heater would be the hydor theo as it can run dry, so you wouldnt need to be running out to purchase another one if you forgot to unplug it during a water change once in a while.
As for food, I'd skip the hikari and bettamin, and instead keep the omega one, and get attisons or new life spectrum. The bloodworms are good as a treat, you could also get frozen brine shrimp, or other frozen foods, or live foods if you can find them.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 
callistra

I use aqueon pro (not the regular line they're crap) and jager. I also like marineland visitherm. I've not had any luck with hydor. They've all been leaps off setting and or failed

Omega one are the only ones i would feed from your list but I prefer new life spectrum betta

I love my aquaclear now that its decided to quiet down. I had large fits with it for a while tho

Last edited by callistra; 12-25-2012 at 06:51 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #6 
MSG

If you buy an AquaClear, get the 30. Forget the 20.

I have a AC30 for a 5 gallon fry tank, works great, completely silent. Have a custom prefilter on it, so haven't lost 1 fry to it since the tank was set up over 2 months ago.

For heaters.....The 3 brands everyone recommended would be the same I would choose.

Hydor, Jager, Visi-Therm [Germany & Italy] are the countries that have produced the most reliable heaters.

The only issue I have with Hydor is they also manufacture those radiant heat pads for dinky 1 gallon toy "tanks". Those things are pieces of garbage.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote