Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #1 
bethyMT

Giant HMPK sorority plans

Hi! Five of the baby betta girls I got ended up not getting adopted (actually right now it's seven left, but one is spoken for and I hope I can rehome 1 more) so I decided to keep them in a sorority. Thinking of putting them at the LFS just scared me too much, and I have the capacity, so why not.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my plans here for you all to evaluate. Would five giants (3in max) be OK in a 20 gallon? They are small now, so it's not a problem, but I was wondering if this would be sustainable as they grow. As of right now, they are very peaceful and friendly to each other...no agression, it's amazing.

Also, right now I have a 30gal rated cycled HOB filter on there, which I hate (I generally hate hobs of any kind). I am planning on switching to exclusively using a sponge filter, a large one that seems like it could handle the load, but I will be checking it a lot JIC. Can I do this? Or should I keep the HOB and try to improve the baffle? This tank is/will be heavily planted with a variety of rooted and floating plants. There's just too much water movement for my taste, and I really like sponge filters. They seem perfect for bettas. For a while both filters will be running so the sponge filter can cycle.

So, that's my plan, essentially tweaking what I already have. Just want to be sure it's safe for my girls (Zebra, Sunshine, Ghost, Tootsie, and Mabel). This seems to be the best way to go, since I just don't think they would do well alone. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: they are 13 weeks old, about 1.5 inches each (body only)
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 
lillyandquigly

I think that would be fine
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
bethyMT

Thanks! For some reason I just can't get my brain around having a sponge filter as the only filter on the tank. It just seems that the tank is too big for that at 20 gallons. IDK.

The driftwood went in there today, and I'm looking to upgrade the light fixture to an aqueon modular LED here soon...then there will be more plant growth from the bacopa-like thing and the water sprite(rooted). Since it's a 20g high, the middle looks a little bare. But the anubias are really happy...I got a golden-leaved one and a large-leafed one, two each, along with some java fern, which I don't have to worry about.

Now it just needs to stop snowing for few days, and those two girls I am not keeping can go to thier forever home...I am so done with all this shipping and moving fish and setting up new tanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 
lillyandquigly

But with a sponge filter I would have a few more water changes then usual. Once your plants get going for a while you can lessen them
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #5 
bethyMT

I am going to try using two sponge filters with a total rating of 40 gallons (this is necessary, since the flow will be very reduced). Did a little research, seems like it could work with regular maintenance (which I do anyway).

I really hate that HOB. The intake tube keeps popping off and splashing all over, my baffle is falling apart, and the floating plants get all sucked up in the intake and under the baffle. A mess.

This will be an adventure, for sure. I've had so many of those in fishkeeping!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 
lillyandquigly

lol, good luck