Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #1 
callistra

Soft driftwood ornaments?

I've about completely lost my patience trying to find fake driftwood ornaments that won't snag my boys. I'm limited to what I can find locally so I've been buying a variety of things online, hoping to find something that works. So far everything I've gotten has been not only rough enough to snag nylons, but rough enough to actually CUT ME. Why do people even make things like this?! I've thought about sanding the stuff down but the overall texture is just rough and jagged, not even just parts. I'm afraid I'll end up with a colorless/unpainted mess after I shave it all down.

This is what I've tried so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Decor-M.../dp/B0032G6XIW - this is a particular hot mess with a texture rough enough to cut my own skin and parts that were obviously crudely glued together post crafting.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/pure-aqu...-ornament.html - I absolutely love the look of this but it has some really sharp parts.
and an ornament by OSI that can't even find now - this is the smoothest one with only a few sharp points but it's pretty big in my 10g

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

underwater galleries has a ceramic replica driftwood arch.could be smoother.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Are you completely against real driftwood? I just got a piece from Petco that was already submerged so it doesn't leach or anything. The smaller pieces were $5 and they had larger for $10.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 
callistra

Well I have very soft water so I'm afraid the tannins would cause ph issues, but I suppose I could experiment in buckets to see.

Ah yeah underwater galleries is nice. I've had some caves and things things by them. They're just not that realistic for drift wood but that's a good idea.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

If you got the little one for $5 you could test with that instead of investing in a more expensive piece.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote