Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Prepackaged Betta Water

I see this everywhere, exclusive to Betta fish only.
What exactly is it, it's use, and does it have magical powers that I am unaware of? (only slightly kidding on the last statement)
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

just extremely expensive water that is many grades lower than what comes out of your tap;)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

I used to buy this back when I only had two Bettas (for a time I had 9 and now i'm down to 4). I would only use part of the Betta water and the rest would be from the tap. I would still add conditioner so there really wasn't any point in actually using this stuff. I still have three empty bottles of it, they are more useful now then they were full, I like to use them to top off my aquariums.

I never noticed anything different, it's really not worth buying... maybe you can use it if you net your Bettas from their tanks during cleaning or something, like fill up a cup to hold them in since the water is already conditioned. That is if you don't like to scoop up their aquarium water lol.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #4 
scootshoot

Waste of cash but am sure the product sells for those that are too lazy to do research.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 
SolomonFinch

Thanks :) for the input...no I havent bought any :) I was curious....no one sells Goldfish water or Chichlid water, LOL
Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 
callistra

I think a lot of times it's treated RO or spring water. Since bettas like soft water if you've got extremely nasty hard water coming out of your tap it may be an improvement, but that is assuming it is above. My petstore sells RO water with Equilibrium added at about 50 cents a gallon, but I'm sure that's not what all is. It probably varies. Treated tap water is usually just fine for bettas.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #7 
pittipuppylove

lol I've seen goldfish water at Petco - sadly sold in little quart sized bottles. Pretty sure all of the fish-specific water bottles are just DI (possibly DI/RO) water.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
SolomonFinch

I have very soft water to begin with...so that is good to know. What is RO/DI?
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #9 
pittipuppylove

RO/DI water has been both deionized and gone through a reverse osmosis process, which removes almost everything from the water. It's about as pure as water can be.

Practically useless fact of the day: Ironically, RO/DI water is often primarily H3O instead of H2O.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Not sure on the RO/DI but I definitely agree with everyone saying its a waste of money! I bought it when I got my first 2 bettas and had .5 gallon tanks for them. I thought it was better for them, but after a little research I upgraded their tanks and it seemed crazy to me to keep buying that water instead of conditioning my tap. I think the only thing better about them is convenience, and not having to measure out how much conditioner you need for smaller tanks.

Edit:: the post above me was posted while I was typing, RO/DI makes perfect sense now!

How is it H3O? just curious, i've never even heard of H3O
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote