Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live plants will help keep the water clean.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #22 
callistra

You like to stress people put plants into tanks.. I love them as much as anyone but live plants take extra care and have extra costs to them. If people don't take care of them properly they will actually rot/melt away and make water quality worse. It's not as simple as going out and finding your favorite plant and plucking it in.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not all plants need extra care. Java Fern/Moss need no extra care. Neither does Anuibus Crypt Wendettia will not need extra care. All these plants need is a small amount of light and water.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You like to stress people put plants into tanks.. I love them as much as anyone but live plants take extra care and have extra costs to them. If people don't take care of them properly they will actually rot/melt away and make water quality worse. It's not as simple as going out and finding your favorite plant and plucking it in.
What do you mean I like to stress people?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #25 
callistra

I just mean you post everywhere that people should add plants. Even those plants need some kind of light hood even if that hood only gives 2 watts per gallon. Anubias is a root feeder.. they need substrate.. Do you mean Crypt Wendtii? That's also a root feeder.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Anuibus does not need substrate. They dont need added lighting. Even a little sunlight will grow them. Just because they are root feeders does not mean they need extra care.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #27 
Bluewind

My tank has a Marimo Ball, 2 Apedigon (sp?), and an Anubias. I got the wrong bulbs, so my tank is running off the bulbs that came with the kit since like October. They get some indirect sunlight from my windows and my substrate is PFS. No ferts or anything. And my Apendegon is to the top of my tank! Others are growing well too. I will be getting the proper lights in a couple weeks when I feel better, They only cost about $7 for 3 and it says on the package that they last for years & cut down on energy costs.

They also multiply and grow, so a small investment can later give you enough plants that you have to take some out! Not to mention their ability to remove amonia. Some can even become a nice little snack for your fish and inverts!

Given my experence, testimonials of other members, cost vs benifit argument, and ease of use, I believe that plants are a great adition to any aquarium
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 12-29-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am going to fix my CO2 injector.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #29 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
If there is absolutely no way for you to get your hands on some pure ammonia...you could either take the risk of the shrimp/fish food method and jut hope it works out, or you may have to do a fish-in with the fish you already have.
This is the way I would go. Shrimp really reeks and can grow nasty fungus. Fishfood is a smelly mess which is hard to clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
.... give a bottled bacteria like Tetra SafeStart or Seachem Stability a try.
Safestart (not Stability) has the bacteria you want. So does Dr Tim's One and Only, ATM Colony and a few others. Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira are what you want. Check the "buy" date to get a fresh bottle.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #30 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Anubias is a root feeder.. they need substrate..
Anubias likes to float or be tied to rocks and/or wood. It will grow in substrate if you take care not to bury the rhizome. I float a lot of my Anubias as topcover and resting places. It's a really low-light plant.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote