Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #31 
DragonFish

I did read a while back(elsewhere on a different forum however) that Stability did work well for several people. Currently SafeStart does seem to be favored, so maybe my info on the subject is just a little outdated.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #32 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Used to be Stability and Cycle were all there were in a long shelf-life product. These contain heterotrophic bacteria that multiplies equally well in aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Those bacteria multiply orders of magnitude faster than the autotrophs (nitrosomonas and nitrospira) which require oxygen but really perform the nitrification.

Cycle, Stability and their ilk keep ammonia from getting dangerously high during the time the autotrophs are growing, which is why they have been recommended and work, after a fashion.

Live autotrophs have a relatively short shelf-life, one reason the retail stores are loath to carry them. Safestart was derived from Biospira invented by Dr Tim Hovanec. This formula was sold to Tetra and became Safestart. Dr Tim now markets his own line of AQ chemicals and bacteria. His nitrifying bacteria (One-and-Only) is shipped from his facilities cold in an insulated container.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #33 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Used to be Stability and Cycle were all there were in a long shelf-life product. These contain heterotrophic bacteria that multiplies equally well in aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Those bacteria multiply orders of magnitude faster than the autotrophs (nitrosomonas and nitrospira) which require oxygen but really perform the nitrification.

Cycle, Stability and their ilk keep ammonia from getting dangerously high during the time the autotrophs are growing, which is why they have been recommended and work, after a fashion.

Live autotrophs have a relatively short shelf-life, one reason the retail stores are loath to carry them. Safestart was derived from Biospira invented by Dr Tim Hovanec. This formula was sold to Tetra and became Safestart. Dr Tim now markets his own line of AQ chemicals and bacteria. His nitrifying bacteria (One-and-Only) is shipped from his facilities cold in an insulated container.
Ahh, I see. Very interesting, thank you for all the info!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #34 
bettaluver14

Talking

wow thanks guys!!! i have all i need to know about cycling and will definitely get the non stinky way, pure ammonia lol :D
i hope i find a perfect 10gal soon :T
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #35 
bettaluver14

and turns out there is an ace hardware 20-30mins from my house so i will be out this weekend to get some!! and i'm worried i will get the wrong type of ammonia. people mentioned that if i shake the bottle and the ammonia doesnt suds up, it's perfect. and what ingredients should i look for thatre good and bad?
and i have the tank too now im just waiting on getting ammonia and a few more decors :3
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote