Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

African Clawed frogs

This is Freddie, my chubby albino ACF:

And this is his friend, Frankie, a wild-phase ACF:

Like most babies, they're in a growout tank, #1 in a 3 tank series. They're still pretty small, so to make it easier for them to find food, and get to air, they're in a 5 gallon for the time being. The next tank is a 10 gallon, and when they outgrow that, their final tank will be a 55 gallon planted tank stocked with common guppies, platies, ramshorn snails and shrimp. I'm really excited and looking forward to that setup! ^_^

I was trying to keep them on a natural live diet, but they're both too lazy to catch anything bigger than the guppy fry Mike puts in for them. I'm sure that'll change eventually, but until then, they prefer microcrab pellets, freeze dried gammarus, guppy fry, and occasionally spirulina flakes.

Freddie was my pity purchase frog, he was so severely emaciated by the fish store. They had him in with fish and weren't overfeeding to make sure he got any food at all. I thought he was going to die when we got him home, but he's bounced back really well.

These guys are one of the few pets I literally had to fight with my fiance to keep when I lost my home, there was no way I was going to give these guys too!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The 55 gallon is a bad idea. He will eat them all.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

They're supposed to be a feeder colony. It replicates their natural diet as much as possible, because there aren't many nutritionally complete pellets out there for these guys.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tilapia meat. They will eat them too quickly.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

tilapia meat can't really be hunted. I'm also setting up a 50 gal for my platies, this will be where most of their fish will come from.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It was suggested on the care sheet. http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/African_Clawed_Frog
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

OMG I've never seen a wild phase before! D:
Lucky. He's awesome!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

Olympia, Thank you. It actually took me a few months to find him! Everyone is carrying the albinos or the dyed frogs. (which I strongly dislike) So when I saw him, I pounced! lol
Chocolatebetta,
It's a good "dead food" for a lot of piscevores, BUT, it doesn't do anything for mental stimulation of the frogs. I'm a member of a amphibian forum where there are plenty of other frog keepers who have their frogs on a similar enrichment plan, and their frogs thrive. Also, I've used tilapia and other filets with the piranha we used to have, and more often than not, the filets end up not being eaten. That wasn't just the one fish either. So I don't like using filets if I can avoid it for anything more than an occasional treat.

If you ever plan on feeding your betta live foods, this is absolutely no different. And if you announced your intentions, nobody would be as determined to tell you that you're wrong as you've been.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Platies and guppies should not be the whole diet. Varied diets the best.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

In the wild, the majority of their diet is snails and crustaceans, along with whatever fish that they can catch, and worms. That's exactly what I intend to feed them, and with the exception of the worms, is all mentioned in my original post.