Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Red face Please Do Not Throw Rocks at Me

I have no intention of rehashing my sorority nightmare.
2 girls lived. I had to move them out of quarantine.
NOW the ten gallon I purchased for them has a faulty pump and I am waiting on the manufacturer to get back with me. My other 10 gallon tank I use for growing beneficial bacteria for Oranda tank cleaning.
I put the 2 girls in a 1.5 tank with hiding places, just the two of them.(TEMPORARILY) After some nips (less than goldfish I may add), they act like best friends, shadowing one another for a bit, chilling, even sleeping together. This has been going on for 2 days. I have been doing 25% or a bit more water changes daily as to not freak them out.
Is this friendliness just due to their young age?
Thanks!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Girls can live together peacefully for a short time, but eventually there will be disputes in such a small space. It could be because they are young, or because they have been together for a while that they are getting a long now, but eventually, they will realize there really isnt that much room an agression will break out, and since theres only 2 girls in there, even with being able to hide and get away there will be a lot of stress since the battling is constantly just between 2 of them.

Hope I worded that okay?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

Yes, I plan on putting them in a ten gallon as soon as I get a new filter (it could take forever to get the missing part from the other) and I get the tank cycled.
I guess they will need room mates. Have just had a hard time finding healthy bettas. With a male, his new home IS his quarantine, I guess. But a GROUP of fish, I kinda want to make sure they are all healthy so they don't make everyone ill.
I did something I normally do not do, which is name one of the girls. I never give them names til I am sure they are 100%. I attach easily.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I really am new to bettas, and every website says something different. I like read the threads here because the idea exchange is wonderful. I welcome everyone's thoughts, especially when I am screwing up (which is often lately)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

If you only have two girls, its a good idea to divide the ten gallon, even if there are other fish. Aggression is bound to happen sooner or later, even if they live together peacefully for weeks. You need either a divider or more girls. They are fun, aren't they? :) I'm getting a sorority soon! Very excited!

I'm purchasing from a private breeder though because the pet store bettas generally are not in the best of shape.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 
lillyandquigly

you should rescue them for your sorority!
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 
SolomonFinch

I do believe in rescue...my Solomon is a rescue.
But I thought all girls had to be added to a tank at once and be apprx the same age/size? My point with this again, is quarantine. How long should I quarantine new girls before these other two do begin to clash?
I have looked online... I cannot find a private breeder. Even the local mom and pop shops I had planned on donating current girls to politely declined. :(
Why do people dislike female bettas so much? Sure my male is gorgeous, loads of personality and super smart.... but the girls seem all that and more. Like little mermaids :)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

I think because they don't have much finnage. The stupid store people thinks it makes them ugly
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
I do believe in rescue...my Solomon is a rescue.
But I thought all girls had to be added to a tank at once and be apprx the same age/size? My point with this again, is quarantine. How long should I quarantine new girls before these other two do begin to clash?
I have looked online... I cannot find a private breeder. Even the local mom and pop shops I had planned on donating current girls to politely declined. :(
Why do people dislike female bettas so much? Sure my male is gorgeous, loads of personality and super smart.... but the girls seem all that and more. Like little mermaids :)

You can cup the 2 girls and switch some decorations around and then add them and the new ones at the same time and it'd be just like they were all new. I dont even cup mine anymore when I add a new one, there's so many hiding places that the new ones can just swim and hide as soon as they join in and wont be picked on. (i dont suggest this for everyone though!)
As for quarantine. Most people do 2 weeks, but 4 is really your best bet because some things dont show up right away.
People dislike females because they aren't as colorful and dont show off as much as males, its a preferance thing. Unless you want to make a sorority (which most people dont know about) or breed, the males are a better choice to most people. Its sad, I've seen the same females at every store I visit for atleast a month now, but I dont have the room to bring them ALL home (nor the money) so I'll just have to pray they find new GOOD homes. --If you are having a hard time finding them, Check out aqaubid and e-mail chard56 on there, his shipping price is amazing for priority and he includes heat packs at no extra charge, plus all his fish are gorgeous, the pics dont do them justice, and he's very reasonable on price. And he will make deals for you if he believes you will give them a good home.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Message Chard56 on this site and he will probably give you a better deal. There are many breeders on this site if you look in the classified section.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #10 
SolomonFinch

Thanks guys.
I wish I had read this before now.
I just rescued more.
I detest quarantine period...seems so unfair.
Another stupid question....
Anyone forgo quarantine?
Thank you!