Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 
lillyandquigly

How do you care for a sorority? I already read the sticky

Any other information would be helpful. I really like knowing everything I can before I get into something
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

It is actually easy. You need at least a 10 gallon tank for a sorority of at least 5 females no more than 6. Plenty of silk plants for hiding I put 6 plants in. 2 big ones and many medium sized ones. Heater and filter for the water of course. I prefer LED lighting. If you are going more than 6 females then you will need a bigger tank. It all depends on how many betta females you are looking at.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 
lillyandquigly

I have a 25-30 gallon tank, once I have time I am going to turn it into an NPT, but currently it houses a praying mantis egg case, when they hatch I am letting them go and then getting started on setting up the tank. I plan on feeding them live foods forever.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

just make sure you clean it out good with NO SOAP or any kind of cleaners unless betta safe
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 
lillyandquigly

I will, are sororities stressful to the females?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 
txbettaowner

No actually they suggest sororities as it is less stressful on females. I had 2 females in a 1.5 gallon tank when I started and they got along just fine. Now, I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 females did have 6 but one is aggressive so she is in her own tank. All 5 females are doing just fine. Go to my albums on my profile to see what a proper tank should look like for a sorority. I am happier doing a sorority than individual. Also you can see my 6 bettas and pictures of them. You can message me with questions to get a faster response as I constantly check my bettafish.com account and messages.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #7 
lillyandquigly

thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I would say a sorority is a more stressful living environment than a tank in which a female betta is the only occupant. In a sorority there is competition for food and territory, and the constant proximity of equally territorial and sometimes aggressive females.

However, you can minimize the level of stress by introducing enough females that aggression is dispersed and the weaker fish aren't being constantly picked on. Providing plenty of cover and obstructions, not only discourages chasing, but also gives the weaker females somewhere to retreat to.

Choosing very young females means that there tends to be less initial aggression and territorial behaviour shown. Mature females are usually the ones that react with extreme aggression or have to be removed from the sorority either temporarily or permanently.

You want to maintain pristine water conditions and ensure that each female is as equally fat and healthy as the next. A sick fish and poor water quality can quickly cripple a sorority so you have to keep on top of these things. Also, quarantine anything that comes into the sorority for at least two weeks prior whether it be plants or livestock. You do not want to be introducing possible diseases into your sorority as this can mean disaster.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

so it is stressful?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 
lillyandquigly

Can someone answer me?