Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
whiskandbowl

Planted Tank Help, what do I need?

Okay so for Christmas my mom got my some plants because she knows I want to start a NPT. Problem is, I think (or know, haha) she got way too many crypts! Eleven of them! One is a Wendtii green and the other 10 are assorted.
I also don't think the Anubias is well suited for my tank either.
(She said it's "anubias co." and the only one on the website she ordered from that starts with a C is coffeefolia, which apparently gets 9-18 inches tall!)
They're still in the mail, apparently, so I can't give ID on the crypt variety pack, unfortunately.

The tank I'm planting is a 6.6 gallon bookshelf. I plan to use organic potting soil and topping with black sand.
Anyway, what other plants do I need to have a complete planted tank? I have java moss coming as well.
I was thinking of java fern, water wisteria (HYGROPHILA DIFFORMIS).

I also like the look of both water sprite aka Lace indian fern (ceratopteris thalictroides ), LUDWIGIA REPENS, dwarf bolbitis, and frogbit.

Would 1 "order" of each (from 1-4 stems) be too many plants? I have a 5 gal I wouldn't mind donating a few plants to if need be (it's just gravel now, but I wouldn't mind going NPT for that one either)
Oh, and I'm planning on ordering from Bob's Tropical Plants, though open to other places as well
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 
imsunflwr1

I'm very new to this myself, but I'd suggest you read the sticky by OldFishLady in this section. There's a huge list of suggested plants along with lots of other info. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575.

When I bought my plants I bought wayyyy too many! I'd get one bunch (if there's 6-10 stems) of 3-4 different plants. I like Hygro Deformis, Cabomba caroliniana, Rotala indica, Lugwigia repens and some of those crypts you'll be getting. Also a sword or 2 and some sags or vals. This is just my MVHO. I'm sure others will chime in. Want to see pics later. Best of luck!
imsunflwr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

Thanks!
I've read the sticky probably about 10 times, haha, but I just want to make sure of everything, ie: that I have the proper number of each type of plant etc etc.

Will definitely post pics once I get my plants.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 
imsunflwr1

You sound like me... I've read it several times!

Oops! I forget the floaters... I really like Dwarf Water Lettuce and Frogbit!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 
whiskandbowl

I really like Frogbit too, have to find someone else to get it though because BTP doesn't have it

I almost forgot about snails! Where does everyone get Malaysian Trumpet snails? I've heard they are considered a pest snail and that most petstore will just give them away, but I don't trust my Petco to know a guppy from a goldfish (okay exaggeration, but I did hear them say that bettas eat plants...)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
imsunflwr1

I got my MTS from my LFS (not chain store). $1.00/doz. I got my frogbit and DWL from Ebay. The rest of my plants I got from either AquariumPlants.com http://www.aquariumplants.com/ or PlantedAquariumsCentral.com http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....-Plants_c6.htm . Was very pleased with both places.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 
whiskandbowl

Bumpity, any other suggestions/input