Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

catching pest snails..

how do I catch pest snails in my tetra tank? They are eating my queen anubias! I paid $30 for her, shes so big and beautiful...now shes all covered in snails and holes :( I hope I can save her.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

You could put in an assassin snail (I don't know how fast they actually work), remove as many snails as you can manually, or google 'aquarium snail trap' and have a go at making one of your own.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Do you have any algae wafers on hand? Or perhaps another sort of greenery like cucumber or lettuce. Then when they are going to eat that you can just pluck them out.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
MonteCarlo

in case you have access to a good store, i was told the YoYo loach eats them way faster than assassin snails.
MonteCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Assassin snails and lettuce trap.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

Hmm, only complication with snail eating fish would be my nerites..would loaches eat my nerite snails? with the assassins attack them? I have 6 in the tank...I love my nerites, but im def not a fan of these little misc plant eating snails :(...I might try the lettuce first to be safe...if anyone knows about the assassins and loaches with nerites, please share! Thanks everyone for the ideas...wonderful info :)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

oh and ...if I use the lettuce...do I leave it in there for a couple hours? Over night? When will yuck up my water? and how often might I need to do this?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #8 
PaulO

Why are you worried about your nerites? you can always re-stock your tank when the assassin dies or you can try to catch a few and re-release them. Snails come out at night so that would be the opportune time. Also if you do the cucumber and lettuce you'll also attract the nerites so you can pick 'em off the vegetables like they're raspberry's .
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 
Friendlyfishies

I cant get nerites up here in Maine from local stores, id have to order and requarentine and they wouldnt be able to ship in the winter, so itd be a long wait for them...just a pain, id rather keep my nerites safe and healthy while ridding these little misc snails...I think I found what they are...bladder snails...are these common? are they an issue for plants? Or is something else going on with my plants unrelated to the bladder snails?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Then no to Assassins. With lettuce place the leaf in when you go to bed and in the morning the snails should have covered it. I would not Suggest getting Assassins. Paul you dont just get an animal let it kill your good snails and then let them die. You could set up a small tank and store the nerites there. When your out of Snail food Assassins eat flakes too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote