Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah a show Betta would not last a day in those conditions.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #22 
lillyandquigly

exactly, disapointed in myself to say so, but for a while Cheng lived in bad conditions (for those of you that saw the thread when I first started out, you know what I'm talking about). She's lived seven years now, sadly sick with dropsy, but she's lived so long, even through those bad conditions.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow 7.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #24 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I was thinking about it earlier today and i thinks its a lot of reasons
1 bettas are hardy and have been bred hardy
2 they have nonplants, other, fish, decorations, and sometimes gravel. And why i say this is everytime you put a new fish, plant decoration or anything the more at risk your fish gets that the other fish or plant had been contaminated with disease.
3 this one is a total guess but fish in tiny bowls are trying to stay alive they dont want to die there putting all there energy into living.spoiled bettas have a great life so there swimming aroundhaving fun and it just is easier for themto get sick there used to safe spoiled tanks like show bettas.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #25 
lillyandquigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Wow 7.
I'm surprised she's lived this long, because she has a HIGH disease history, even when (which she's in now, and will be in forever) she's in good conditions
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter 2.5 Putting more energy into living would make them more vulnerable. Many of the badly cared for fish have ammonia damage that means the only way they breath is in air. Carter was one of those fish in a bad tank. I got him a bigger tank. He is very lucky he shows no ammonia damage. The only time he bubblenests is when sick. I think the massive buble nesting in bowls is for many Betta a bad sign.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #27 
lillyandquigly

perhaps you're right, that would make sense, I think Fhil bubblenested before he got dropsy
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #28 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
This! I started out with a $27 5g kit. Then I had to buy rocks, decorations and a heater, which bumped it up to around $50.

Then I decided that I wanted a larger tank so I could have more than one betta, so I found a 10g kit for $39 on sale at Petco. Then I had to buy the rocks, plants and a better heater. Then I got ANOTHER 10g on sale because I wanted more bettas. Yeah. All in all, I've probably spent over $150 on the homes for six fish. And honestly, if I had space, I would probably get more. It's amazing how addictive it is!
Ohhh man, how I wish things were that cheap over here. In the last week I've spent over $300 on the two boys we were given for Christmas, just for basics (one tank -- had one spare -- a couple of plants, heaters, spare siphons and nets in case one or both of them were ill and a power board for them).

Also just spent $50 on silk plants to give all my boys more cover and in preparation for Falkor's tank upgrade.

Despite the wallet hurting, I REGRET NOTHING. All the loves for my boys!

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

50 dollar for the tank kit here.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

For the ten gallon? I could get a ten gallon kit at my walmart for $30, but of course it doesn't come with a filter and also comes with a bunch of useless tropical flakes and tetra water conditioner, so a heater and filter would be another $40 then add in the gravel and the decor and whatever else... It gets expensive regardless, lol, unless you get lucky and have a lot of used items given to you.

I was given a free ten gallon and four gallon tank, both with hoods, but I still had to purchase the filters, heaters, and all decor.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote