Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 
resa

Question new betta owner wanting to upgrade

some of you may already know i have a few threads already open..... i have a VT male ....he's only in a 1 gallon tank with no heater but thermometer stats the temps are perfectly fine.... he's not eating pellets or tropical flakes but when i get the money (maybe today or tomorrow) i will be getting the bloodworms to see if he eats it... (unless he's eating the pellets and flakes and i don't see it)....... anyways point of this thread is because i have another tank my sister in law is giving me. unsure how many gallons but its a nice size... what i'd like to do is buy my betta (name is zeek) decorations, plants etc. and i need advice on the type of decorations i should b getting him... what i'd also like to do is place other fishies in the tank with him that wont cause a problem..... and that would be just as happy with the decorations and planting i use for zeek...... (i know i'll need a heater as well :) )....... so any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. :)
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 
madmonahan

You would first need to know how many gallons before you can add other fish, can you please try this?

http.//freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm

Last edited by madmonahan; 12-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #3 
madmonahan

Ugh! Seriously? Just measure the length, width, and height and tell me please. Sorry.

Last edited by madmonahan; 12-27-2012 at 09:42 AM.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

The minimum for other fish in a tank is a 10 gallon sized tank. Even so, the stocking for a 10 gallon is alittle limited but you're betta would still be very happy with that size.

Try to avoid plastic plants unless you are sure they aren't sharp; most of the time they can shred your betta's fins. Bettas love to squeeze in tight spots so the less plastics you ahve, the better. A good choice of plant decor is silk plants.

If you get a decoration with a cave, make sure your betta can easily fit in and out of it; you don't want him getting stuck lol.

If you want to get a larger tank, try craigslist as you can find great deals and bigger sized tanks that come with absolutely everything you need to start off (including heaters).

Lastly, you definitely want to get a heater even if in the day your temp is fine. A heater will turn off when it reaches the set/desired temp therefore maintaining a steady temperature. Most of the time, a betta won't eat if the temperature is low or not very consistent...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #5 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLakerBetta View Post
The minimum for other fish in a tank is a 10 gallon sized tank. Even so, the stocking for a 10 gallon is alittle limited but you're betta would still be very happy with that size.

Try to avoid plastic plants unless you are sure they aren't sharp; most of the time they can shred your betta's fins. Bettas love to squeeze in tight spots so the less plastics you ahve, the better. A good choice of plant decor is silk plants.

If you get a decoration with a cave, make sure your betta can easily fit in and out of it; you don't want him getting stuck lol.

If you want to get a larger tank, try craigslist as you can find great deals and bigger sized tanks that come with absolutely everything you need to start off (including heaters).

Lastly, you definitely want to get a heater even if in the day your temp is fine. A heater will turn off when it reaches the set/desired temp therefore maintaining a steady temperature. Most of the time, a betta won't eat if the temperature is low or not very consistent...

i did as u suggested, looking on craigslist and i found someone selling aquarium accessories not a tank but wanted your opinion on what accessories i'll need to get from them to add to a tank i'll eventually get.... i have the link to the sellers post but wasnt sure if i can post it here... their selling multiple things from fresh water to salt water to turtle aquarium accessories.... please get back with me i appreciate your time :)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 
resa

ok i'm hopefully going at midnight central time to get a 10 gallon tank at walmart. i seen one that comes with a filter and i want to post the link to see if the filter is appropriate for my betta. also i'd like to know if you can recommend a very cheap heater from walmart as well http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-Pets/10312734

i may or may not get other decor at this time due to the price of the tank. also what about the lights that are included with the tank i posted there? is the light good enough for a little while or is it an absolute no?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 
resa

ok i see this heater there that claims it stays at 78 degree http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
ok i see this heater there that claims it stays at 78 degree http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656

Make sure you clean it very well before putting it in. Some people have had problems with the tetra heaters and the chemicals that come on them, their fish have died. I don't want to scare you, but I don't want you to end up with a dead fish. If you clean it very well (better than what the instructions say), you should be fine. A lot of people use vinegar water to clean their accessories, so you could probably use that for this heater.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #9 
resa

what is an air pump for a tank? and is it something i HAVE to have?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #10 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Sorry about the late reply. Air pumps are defintely not something you need to have. It basically airates the tank and promotes good bio bacteria. It' better to stick with a filter in my opinion.

On craigslist, the accesories I was referring to was, along with the tank and filter, a heater and gravel. Try and find an adjustable heater. Those are very reliable and heat tanks very well with no problem.

I see you are buying a tank from walmart. It comes only with the tank, hood and light, and a filter. You'll need to get a heater; you an get one also at walmart I am sure. I bought a good 27 dollar heater for my 10 gallon because I didn't want to get a cheap one that would break down. Fluval is my favorite brand but just go around each store's sites looking for good deals and reviews.

The light in that picture will not be blue. It will be like the lights in many of the tanks you will see on this forum. he reason it looks blue is because of the background they have on there. Hmm I think this answers all of your questions... Good luck! :)
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote